Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Centre diff lock on AWD auto

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#176 CNY_Dave

CNY_Dave

03 LL Bean H6

• Members
  • 1,426 posts
  • Near Cortland NY

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:13 AM

Switch makes a world of difference when you are stopped facing up a hill.  Without it front wheels spin and the car starts to slide backwards and to the right, try it again with the switch, all four tires spin at once and I start moving forward.

The problem with the AWD is that there is about a 1/4 sec lag between slip and power transfer (for the TCU to calculate the difference and then activate the rear wheels) and if you are stopped on an icy anything, that 1/4 second can make the difference between being stuck and getting moving again.

I remember being in a ski resort parking lot years ago when I had my dual range gl-10 and I was stopped on an incline with a early 2000's outback in front of me.  Once the line started to move, the outback was completely stuck.  The front would spin before the back kicked in and they would start sliding backwards.  We all had to back down the incline and the let the outback have a run at it.  Once the outback got up the hill, I had to stop and wait on the hill again for my turn to park.  Once I was signaled to go, I took off with zero issues in the same spot the outback got stuck.  Having all 4 wheels turn at once is crucial to get going again if you are stopped, really on anything icy.

To get past this limitation, to a degree sufficient for steep slick hills, I put it in 1 or 2 and apply a small amount of throttle with the brakes on, as soon as the TCU sees off-idle throttle in 1 and 2 it applies a fair bit of 'lock' to the clutches, and there is absolutely no front-only wheelspin.

Edited by CNY_Dave, 23 March 2013 - 10:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users