Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Interior Restoration has begun!

Well, now I have the seats (took me 4 hours to clean them) and other components, we started the interior. Today, the interior got gutted and new sound deadening material and carpeting was installed. Hope it helps with the Brat noises... I got a new CD/radio that was salvaged from another car.

I have been experimenting with several different "replenishers" for tired, old, sunbaked plastics. So far mink oil and Pledge furniture polish massaged with your fingers into the plastics have produced incredible results. I have posted some pictures of before and after shots.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=5798

I love detailing cars... I think I would enjoy doing it for a living... it's rather zen-like... especially when you take something old and tired and make it nice again. This Brat is not for the purist, it's for my personal pleasure and comfort.

I hope this post doesn't get bounced over into the Older forum. Although they have been about restoration techniques, seems my posts regarding this '86 Brat always get booted over there?

Looks great Mary!

i too enjoy detailing, it is cool to see what junk you can start with, and make it look good again, the paint was totally sun beat and chalky on my 78 and with some buffing/ polishing, the paint shined better than my pop`s forester:D i have to say though, the interior work i have done in the 78 is kind of annoying, trying to lay down that stiff rubber mat stuff instead of carpet, i keep hitting my head, and crap like that:banghead: still will be cool to see it when its done

car detailing really isn`t a bad business, even if you just get a couple customers that keep returning every month or so if your work is good, if you get $125-150 a pop:brow:

car detailing really isn`t a bad business, even if you just get a couple customers that keep returning every month or so if your work is good, if you get $125-150 a pop:brow:

Hmmm... Catch-22... I would never PAY someone to detail my cars, but I would never DO someone else's car for that rate, too much work.

I hate car washes and have an extreme fear of them, I can't even be a passenger. Palms sweat... shortness of breath. I have someone else to take them through just for the undercarriage wash. When they come back out, they are always still nasty and I make the owner let the car go through again.

When I owned my towing company ...we had a side business that happened to be auto detailing. I know many many little secrets....shhhhhh:brow: . You cant tell by looking at my car but we all know the saying..a carpenters house is never done....well apply accordingly LOL.

It was DONE at 4:00 pm the next day... all that plushness... the velour and new carpet... I feel like I'm driving "I Dream of Jeannie's bottle!

Oh yeah! I can hear the new CD player/stereo (in the modified console) with the help of the sound deadening material, yup, it really works. It's all very nice... smells really good too. Pics soon!