Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Redline revisted

I finally got around to replacing the MT/diff oil and rear diff in my wagon today. Who knows when it was last done, the oil that came out was very dark and the rear diff oil smelled burnt. The MT drain plug had some metal shavings and a thick gray sludge on it. I understand the shavings would be from grinding gears, but what would the sludge be from? I put redline 75w90ns in the front and 75w90 in the rear. It shifts easier, quicker and more smoothly.

Thanks to all who gave their two or three cents on the much debated subject of redline/synthetics/dino and that whole bit.

Well, two places actually. I first bought 5 quarts of 75w90 at B&B auto supply in renton @ $8/ea. Then I read I should use the NS stuff for the MT. I went to the same B&B, where they had just about every Redline product, but the store manager had never heard of the NS stuff and said something about all the parts stores in the area buy theire RL stuff from them. But he let me return 4 of the quarts until I could bring him in a part number from the internet (i rolled my eyes at that point). So I went a block south to a specialty store called Honest Performance, where they had the 75w90NS for about $10.25 a quart. Hmmm, might be cheaper to buy online, even with the shipping charge?

B&B in Renton is at 401 Rainier N, Renton, (206) 772-6380

Oh, and this was the first time changing the MT oil for this rookie. I had read somewhere (i think it was in "Keeping your Subaru Alive") to be sure to get a new drain plug washer for the MT drainplug when changing the fluid. I kept putting the change off because folks at the parts stores couldn't find what I was asking for and finally one lady said she had never seen a drain plug gasket/washer on any MT drain plug she'd seen. She showed me what a drain plug usually looked like and it looked like the top rear diff plug, which I had removed. She was right, at least on my ea82, there's no gasket, nor do I see room for one, unless it is ultrathin.

About the gasket on the MT drain plug....

I changed the gear oil last month (first time in at least 70k miles since I got it). When I took out the plug I looked at it hard and said "Now why wouldn't it have a gasket?" Cleaned it up good and I checked it out again, still couldn't understand why no gasket.

After I let it drain all night, I took another look at the plug in good light, and son-of-a-gun but sure enough, it had an aluminum gasket squeezed so tight onto the plug, and perfectly flush, that it looked like one piece. I pried it off, cleaned it up and decided it was good as new.

Maybe you just have to stare at it long enough. Your gasket very likely was melded onto the plug, like mine. As long as it doesn't leak, I wouldn't worry about it.

-- Mark