Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Strange whining noise while driving

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 subjfd

subjfd

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 16 January 2006 - 06:36 PM

My car: 1993 Legacy 2.2 stick shift, non Turbo.

When I drive in 4th or 5th gear, I hear high pitched whining noise coming from what seems, either the engine or the tranny, only when I press on the gas pedal.

I am a new Sub owner, so it might be a normal noise for an AWD, but I am quite unsure.

It might (or not) be related to the fact that my speedo is not working, but I thought I might ask if this noise is normal. It vaguely ressembles the sound of an jet engine warming up.

Cheers

JF

#2 Roamer

Roamer

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Queens

Posted 16 January 2006 - 06:50 PM

My car: 1993 Legacy 2.2 stick shift, non Turbo.

When I drive in 4th or 5th gear, I hear high pitched whining noise coming from what seems, either the engine or the tranny, only when I press on the gas pedal.

I am a new Sub owner, so it might be a normal noise for an AWD, but I am quite unsure.

It might (or not) be related to the fact that my speedo is not working, but I thought I might ask if this noise is normal. It vaguely ressembles the sound of an jet engine warming up.

Cheers

JF

Perhaps its the fly wheel?

#3 Chef

Chef

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 320 posts
  • Peterborough, Ontario

Posted 16 January 2006 - 07:35 PM

Turbo Spooling?

#4 subjfd

subjfd

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 07:46 PM

Well, it does sound like turbo spooling, but I do not think I have a Turbo... As far as the flywheelgoes, I just changed my clutch by a brand new one, and got my flywheel turned (and a mighty good job they did !)

#5 tunered

tunered

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • vincent,ohio

Posted 16 January 2006 - 08:01 PM

sounds like a transmission low on grease to me.

#6 Chef

Chef

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 320 posts
  • Peterborough, Ontario

Posted 16 January 2006 - 09:25 PM

Well, it does sound like turbo spooling, but I do not think I have
a Turbo... As far as the flywheelgoes, I just changed my clutch by a brand new one, and got my flywheel turned (and a mighty good job they did !)

Sorry, I read it over quickly and just noted the turbo part, missing the "non".

#7 97OBW

97OBW

Banned

• Banned
  • 190 posts
  • waxhaw

Posted 16 January 2006 - 10:49 PM

sry i forgot to tell you i put a turbo in your car last night, when i found your dog in the street wandering around......

#8 VorpalBunny

VorpalBunny

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Post Falls

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:28 AM

Every time I hear that comment at work, I tell the suveyor's helpers to get out of the truck and quit bellyaching!

#9 subjfd

subjfd

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 10:14 AM

sounds like a transmission low on grease to me.

Unlikely,

As I put in brand new 75W90 synthetic when I changed my clutch 2 weeks ago, and I keep checking the levels. All OK !

It always happens in 4th-5th, between 2000-3000 rpm under load.

My guesses are:

1) 4th-5th gear pinions
2) Clutch bearing
3) Simply normal noises

In any case, I will keep on driving and see what happens I guess, unless someone convinces me otherwise ?

#10 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 17 January 2006 - 11:13 AM

Most likely the main shaft bearings. It's not critical, as long as the tranny oil wasn't full of metal shavings.

A thin layer on the magnetic plug is normal.

#11 Lawsonmh15

Lawsonmh15

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 294 posts
  • Denver

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:41 PM

Unlikely,

As I put in brand new 75W90 synthetic when I changed my clutch 2 weeks ago, and I keep checking the levels. All OK !

It always happens in 4th-5th, between 2000-3000 rpm under load.

My guesses are:

1) 4th-5th gear pinions
2) Clutch bearing
3) Simply normal noises

In any case, I will keep on driving and see what happens I guess, unless someone convinces me otherwise ?

I hope I don't take the diagnosis in the wrong direction, but this is somewhat similar to what I heard when my Alternator was going.(Electrical Whine) Worth a pop of the hood and a listen to the alt. If not... Sorry, the MT guys will be ALOT more help than me.

#12 Chef

Chef

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 320 posts
  • Peterborough, Ontario

Posted 17 January 2006 - 05:18 PM

I've noted a bit of a whine myself, mostly from me having to dish out all of my cash to fix my car recently. ;)

I hope I don't take the diagnosis in the wrong direction, but this is somewhat similar to what I heard when my Alternator was going.(Electrical Whine) Worth a pop of the hood and a listen to the alt. If not... Sorry, the MT guys will be ALOT more help than me.

#13 phatline

phatline

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 11:43 AM

1) 4th-5th gear pinions
2) Clutch bearing
3) Simply normal noises

Subjfd,

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I have the exact same problem in my 1999 Forester (manual). At highway speeds there is a whine whenever the accelerator is engaged. If I'm coasting--no whine.

I'm also the guy with different sized front and rear tires (.65" more circumference in back)--does anyone think it could be my differential or viscous coupling complaining?

#14 Sweet82

Sweet82

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,266 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 09 June 2006 - 12:04 PM

I also have a whinne in my top gears.

I can turn the noise on and off by accelerating or decelerating.

It is not noticeable when I accelerate however when I let off the gas
I can hear it every time?

It has done this ever since I've had the car (3 years).
Little disappointed with Subaru on this one...
The car only has 60k on it.

Whine, whine, whine...
Glenn
01 Forester--5 speed

#15 phatline

phatline

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 12:12 PM

It is not noticeable when I accelerate however when I let off the gas
I can hear it every time?

01 Forester--5 speed

Hi Glenn,

I think I came across your issue in another thread. It's interesting that our cars whine in opposite conditions (acceleration for me, deceleration for you). I can't spatially locate the sound.. it sounds "everywhere" which is why I think it comes from below the car or under the hood.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users