Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Strange whining noise while driving

My car: 1993 Legacy 2.2 stick shift, non Turbo.

When I drive in 4th or 5th gear, I hear high pitched whining noise coming from what seems, either the engine or the tranny, only when I press on the gas pedal.

I am a new Sub owner, so it might be a normal noise for an AWD, but I am quite unsure.

It might (or not) be related to the fact that my speedo is not working, but I thought I might ask if this noise is normal. It vaguely ressembles the sound of an jet engine warming up.

Cheers

JF

My car: 1993 Legacy 2.2 stick shift, non Turbo.

When I drive in 4th or 5th gear, I hear high pitched whining noise coming from what seems, either the engine or the tranny, only when I press on the gas pedal.

I am a new Sub owner, so it might be a normal noise for an AWD, but I am quite unsure.

It might (or not) be related to the fact that my speedo is not working, but I thought I might ask if this noise is normal. It vaguely ressembles the sound of an jet engine warming up.

Cheers

JF

Perhaps its the fly wheel?

Well, it does sound like turbo spooling, but I do not think I have

a Turbo... As far as the flywheelgoes, I just changed my clutch by a brand new one, and got my flywheel turned (and a mighty good job they did !)

Sorry, I read it over quickly and just noted the turbo part, missing the "non".

sounds like a transmission low on grease to me.

Unlikely,

As I put in brand new 75W90 synthetic when I changed my clutch 2 weeks ago, and I keep checking the levels. All OK !

It always happens in 4th-5th, between 2000-3000 rpm under load.

My guesses are:

1) 4th-5th gear pinions

2) Clutch bearing

3) Simply normal noises

In any case, I will keep on driving and see what happens I guess, unless someone convinces me otherwise ?

Unlikely,

As I put in brand new 75W90 synthetic when I changed my clutch 2 weeks ago, and I keep checking the levels. All OK !

It always happens in 4th-5th, between 2000-3000 rpm under load.

My guesses are:

1) 4th-5th gear pinions

2) Clutch bearing

3) Simply normal noises

In any case, I will keep on driving and see what happens I guess, unless someone convinces me otherwise ?

I hope I don't take the diagnosis in the wrong direction, but this is somewhat similar to what I heard when my Alternator was going.(Electrical Whine) Worth a pop of the hood and a listen to the alt. If not... Sorry, the MT guys will be ALOT more help than me.

I've noted a bit of a whine myself, mostly from me having to dish out all of my cash to fix my car recently. ;)

I hope I don't take the diagnosis in the wrong direction, but this is somewhat similar to what I heard when my Alternator was going.(Electrical Whine) Worth a pop of the hood and a listen to the alt. If not... Sorry, the MT guys will be ALOT more help than me.

• 4 months later...

1) 4th-5th gear pinions

2) Clutch bearing

3) Simply normal noises

Subjfd,

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I have the exact same problem in my 1999 Forester (manual). At highway speeds there is a whine whenever the accelerator is engaged. If I'm coasting--no whine.

I'm also the guy with different sized front and rear tires (.65" more circumference in back)--does anyone think it could be my differential or viscous coupling complaining?

I also have a whinne in my top gears.

I can turn the noise on and off by accelerating or decelerating.

It is not noticeable when I accelerate however when I let off the gas

I can hear it every time?

It has done this ever since I've had the car (3 years).

Little disappointed with Subaru on this one...

The car only has 60k on it.

Whine, whine, whine...

Glenn

01 Forester--5 speed

It is not noticeable when I accelerate however when I let off the gas

I can hear it every time?

01 Forester--5 speed

Hi Glenn,

I think I came across your issue in another thread. It's interesting that our cars whine in opposite conditions (acceleration for me, deceleration for you). I can't spatially locate the sound.. it sounds "everywhere" which is why I think it comes from below the car or under the hood.