Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need help identifying parts

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cricket

cricket

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • Houston, Texas

Posted 16 January 2006 - 08:56 PM

When I bought the 79 wagon, the a/c-heater unit and parts were dangling from the dashboard. Yesterday I put it back together (best I could) and ended up with two spare parts. I'm going to look through my Chilton, to see if I find them. But if you recognize them by sight, I'd appreciate your input. There's a rubber boot, a rubber shell-looking thing, and a cap. My guess is the boot goes on the metal things that open and close the vent at the firewall. I have no idea what the other things are. Thanks.

Link to the mystery parts:

http://hometown.aol....diaz/index.html

p.s., the shell looking thing says "EA71 EA65."

By the way, I replaced the resonator with a straight pipe, instead of welding the pipe to the resonator. The muffler shop guy convinced me the resonator was shot. So a $20 job turned into a $60 job. Either way, I'll pass the inspection now.

#2 moosens

moosens

Psychotic Subathusiast

• Members
  • 1,278 posts
  • Bridgeport CT

Posted 16 January 2006 - 09:00 PM

clutch fork cover,timing hole cover....and the other I have to think about for a minute....maybe longer.:-p

#3 SUBARU3

SUBARU3

• 2,734 posts
  • Dallas, Ft. Worth, Texas

Posted 16 January 2006 - 10:16 PM

The other is passenger side vent cover that covers the vent opening in the cowl, with the aftermarket AC installation. Normally, without AC, the passenger vent has a hose that connects to the cowl. With the addition of AC, they tap that vent and duct it to the evaporator. (Blocking off the cowl opening.)

Paul is correct on the other 2 items.

Todd

#4 moosens

moosens

Psychotic Subathusiast

• Members
  • 1,278 posts
  • Bridgeport CT

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:46 PM

Thoroughly immersed in vintage Subarus....you gotta love Subaru3!!!!

I've had that part in my hand,years ago.But only Todd would recall that so quickly.;)

#5 cricket

cricket

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • Houston, Texas

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:12 AM

My guess is the clutch boot and timing cover are spares (I hope! I'll have to check). I have a bad feeling I have to once again take out the evaporator from under the dashboard, install the vent cover, and reinstall everything--bummer. Thanks again.

#6 cricket

cricket

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • Houston, Texas

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:13 AM

...and that explains that draft coming from under the dashboard!

The other is passenger side vent cover that covers the vent opening in the cowl, with the aftermarket AC installation. Normally, without AC the passenger vent has a hose that connects to the cowl. With the addition of AC, they tap that vent and duct it to the evaporator. (Blocking off the cowl opening.)

Paul is correct on the other 2 items.

Todd

#7 WagonsOnly

WagonsOnly

Now only WagonsMostly.

• Members
  • 1,475 posts
  • North Central CT

Posted 17 January 2006 - 07:47 AM

Don't worry about the draft--it's the winter module for the air-conditioning booster :-p

#8 75subie

75subie

I`m sold on Subaru

• Members
  • 3,908 posts
  • Walden

Posted 17 January 2006 - 05:52 PM

my thoughts exactly

#9 cricket

cricket

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • Houston, Texas

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:58 PM

I replaced the timing hole cover today and now realize that hole's been open for who knows how long. Any chance that any damage's been done?

timing hole cover

#10 SUBARU3

SUBARU3

• 2,734 posts
  • Dallas, Ft. Worth, Texas

Posted 17 January 2006 - 11:17 PM

No...not much in there to get damaged...... you are fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users