Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

need help with 79 brat

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 michael appel

michael appel

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 779 posts
  • wilsonville Or

Posted 19 January 2006 - 03:37 AM

My bracket that holds my pedals together broke in half yesterday coming home from work need to find another but only came in brats and in just a few years 77-79 yeah called subaru and they are obselete plase help me if anyone has any suggestions great or ill have to fabricate one with $$$$$$ I dont have...

#2 somick

somick

92 Loyale

• Members
  • 271 posts
  • alaska

Posted 19 January 2006 - 02:27 PM

Have you tried junk yard?

Sam

#3 michael appel

michael appel

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 779 posts
  • wilsonville Or

Posted 20 January 2006 - 02:58 AM

absolutely none hell some are even under water here

#4 GLCraig

GLCraig

Livin' the live

• Members
  • 2,706 posts
  • LV, Washington

Posted 20 January 2006 - 03:11 AM

I seams to me that the pedal bracket would be the same between a brat, wagon, and sedan of that vintage.

#5 Toms Brats

Toms Brats

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Thornton,Co.

Posted 20 January 2006 - 11:41 AM

Just got a 79.Think I have your part,just have to get it out. Tom:grin:

#6 Subieguy

Subieguy

Subaru on the brain!

• Members
  • 903 posts
  • Paso Robles, California

Posted 20 January 2006 - 08:44 PM

Do you have a uncracked LH tail light lens on the Brat? I really need one. Thanks, Richard.

Just got a 79.Think I have your part,just have to get it out. Tom:grin:

#7 Toms Brats

Toms Brats

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Thornton,Co.

Posted 20 January 2006 - 09:48 PM

I have a drivers side rear lens for 1979.Is that right? Tom:banana:

#8 cricket

cricket

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • Houston, Texas

Posted 20 January 2006 - 09:49 PM

The dealer might say the part's obsolete. However, if you have the part number, you give the counter person the part number and he/she might be able to get it for you from your distribution center. It might even be on the shelf in back. I've learned "obsolete" means "I don't have a parts list for it and I'm NOT going to go the extra mile to find one for you."

My bracket that holds my pedals together broke in half yesterday coming home from work need to find another but only came in brats and in just a few years 77-79 yeah called subaru and they are obselete plase help me if anyone has any suggestions great or ill have to fabricate one with $$$$$$ I dont have...

#9 Subieguy

Subieguy

Subaru on the brain!

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 01:10 AM

You would be surprised as to what parts you can find if you have a part number. Still some good old Subie parts to be found out there that are new.

#10 SUBARU3

SUBARU3

• 2,734 posts
  • Dallas, Ft. Worth, Texas

Posted 21 January 2006 - 02:32 AM

Damn, I just sold one of these on eBay! (Well, the relisted one sold.) I had grabbed some spares for my fleet, after I found that they can suffer metal fatigue on the clutch side and eventually collapse.

The 77-81 BRAT and the 75-79 cars are all the same. The automatics are similar, but lack the reinforcement for the clutch. There are quite a few being parted out now on the board, I'm sure you can find one.

You can have them welded too.

How many miles on your BRAT?

http://cgi.ebay.com/...me=STRK:MEUS:IT

Todd

#11 SUBARU3

SUBARU3

• 2,734 posts
  • Dallas, Ft. Worth, Texas

Posted 21 January 2006 - 08:52 PM

I might add that a BIG contributing piece to these failing, is a worn clutch cable. The more worn the cable, the more pressure it takes to depress and that force gets applied to the mount. That's how the stress fractures start that can lead to collapse. Either service/lube the clutch cable or replace at regular intervals, or when you notice increased difficulty to depress. However, often the increased pressure comes on so gradually, you don't recognize it. I would therefore recomend servicing the cable yearly.

#12 Seahag1978

Seahag1978

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,387 posts
  • Witch City

Posted 21 January 2006 - 09:16 PM

Back in the day, I had my clutch cable go, just snapped had it replaced. Apparently, it saved me from this problem. Good to know... it's probably true of other years.

#13 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,903 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 22 January 2006 - 01:27 AM

Since Todd has gotten onto the topic of the clutch cable, you might want to replace it when you pull out the old pedal frame since it makes life a lot easier to replce it then instead of waiting after you get it in to replace it. Also, check to see how the throttle cable is doing as well and you might want to spray some lubricant down it to keep it nice a free. You might want to check the pin that holds the brake booster rod to the brake pedal for wear and fatigue.

#14 swiftt

swiftt

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 01 February 2006 - 05:04 PM

Does anyone have a photo of where these break at? I'd like to get a good look and perhaps reinforce mine prior to running into any issues with it.

Thank you.

#15 michael appel

michael appel

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 779 posts
  • wilsonville Or

Posted 01 February 2006 - 11:53 PM

The bracket cracks then breaks under the bracket that holds the cable I bolted a metal bar to my bracket until I find a bracket works for now but I would like another bracket also I learned that my cables last longer with penatration oil in the line it really does work pretty nicely .......

#16 Flowmastered87GL

Flowmastered87GL

WCSS Drunk

• Members
  • 6,132 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 02 February 2006 - 12:23 AM

I've got a welder... wanna try to weld on some extra braces? :brow:

You could pick up your radiator at the same time :lol:

#17 Subieguy

Subieguy

Subaru on the brain!

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 04:46 PM

Kind if funny but, I just looked at my bracket yesterday. It was broke in 3 places! I am surprised as bad as it was that it did not collaspe. I took it out and welded up the breaks and I welded in another piece of steel on the outside to add strength to it. Nice and solid now. I never thought to look at it before and I have never taken the pedals out of any of the 4 Brats I parted. I guess that is one of those things I had better grab next time I part one out.

#18 michael appel

michael appel

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 779 posts
  • wilsonville Or

Posted 06 March 2006 - 11:38 PM

My brat has been re painted re done a little of the interior and engine mods k/n filter soon a weber will be of choice up and running after I talk to flowmastered87

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users