Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Could use some advice!

JordanR693

Wow finally i found a place where i might be able to get some answers. Whew all the other subaru forums think nothing of offroading them but "Stupid".

I'm wanting to make my 1994 Subaru Impreza L a little more sturdy for some offroading. Maybe a lift soon as well. I dont care about scraping the bottom too much i already have protection for the oilpan and y pipe. This subaru takes a beating pretty well. The suspension has had it and it is done. I am short of money right now because of my rx-7 but i need some suspension advice and i might be lifting it as soon as I have my suspension in order. What would be the best kind of suspension to throw on this thing? I have heard rumors about using forester struts and stuff like that but i have no idea if it is true. I just need advice and tips. I need new struts for the front and rear on this thing.

Thanks

Jordan

Yes, forester struts + springs will give you a good amount of lift, i've got just forester struts in my impreza, and it's a good 1.5" taller than stock, Zap, Austin, and Noah have the struts and springs i think, and that'll put you up another 1.2"-1"

There are also people who make lift kits for newer gen. subaru's and i'm sure they'll chime in sometime today :rolleyes:

Once you put in some taller suspension in there you can throw on some 28" tires :grin: or larger if you've got the tools to cut/beat your fenders with.

Yes, forester struts + springs will give you a good amount of lift, i've got just forester struts in my impreza, and it's a good 1.5" taller than stock, Zap, Austin, and Noah have the struts and springs i think, and that'll put you up another 1.2"-1"

There are also people who make lift kits for newer gen. subaru's and i'm sure they'll chime in sometime today :rolleyes:

Once you put in some taller suspension in there you can throw on some 28" tires :grin: or larger if you've got the tools to cut/beat your fenders with.

i'll second the truth to the forester/impreza strut swap.

there's a second opinion for ya.

I have all the tools anyone could ever need :banana:. Is there anyway you could get me the part numbers on those springs and struts/shocks. 1.5 is like exactly what im looking for. Would be awsome if i could see a pic of what your impreza looks like afterward. Oh yea, Those will bolt on right? Im not trying to do a bunch of fabrication to the strut towers or anything like that. But wheelwells will be cut = 0. Im planning on throwing something knobbier under there.

Thanks man, you guys rock!

Jordan

i used monroe. alot of people like KYB. if you're strapped for cash, use your old springs and load them yourself with the new shocks. don't worry, the springs are the same size from forester to impreza. they MAY be stiffer on the forester though. but don't worry, they fit together like a well choreographed........thing..

hehe same springs??? I think i might be needing some new springs = ). Mine have been through hell and back and I have 170K on the ticker. They are factory. I cant really tell by looking at the how much tension they are still getting. You think they are still ok?

This month our production is going to be geared directly for newer generation Imprezza, and Baja lift kits. You can always call in and leave your number so that when we finish them you will know about it and have dibs on the lifts coming off the burner. Currently we have about 6 imprezza lifts on order. 4'' inch lift.

www.alliedarmament.com

here's mine

1042020.jpg

Austin & Zap have alot of pics posted on this board too. If you're looking for a how-to you can look here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50268

If you have an 4EAT Tranny you can also modify it to have a locking center clutch pack, it's in the offroad modifications section there too.

With the forester Struts & Springs you can fit some BFGoodrich 28"ers on there with minimal hammering of the inside fender :drunk:

Yeah i was looking at the KYB, I think im going to go with those but i think im going to need some fresh springs where could i get those? i have like $600 to spend on suspension

i'm no expert but i'm pretty sure that'll get your struts and maybe A spring. i doubt thats enough to get struts and springs.

you can get loaded from monroe now. spring and strut all in one. you're gonna have to call around and get prices but my 4 struts alone were about $300 or more with no srings and that was at cost through the goodyear i work for

I got my struts on ebay, KYB GR2's, brand new for $265, springs from someone like jamie i think are like.. $56 bucks, pretty good deal.

yeah, that's a steal.

i dunno though. there's just some things that i won't buy off of ebay. like things that could be secretly broken. like waht if one of those struts was blown and the guy took the time to clean it up and make it look new?

the whole ebay thing is risky buisness to me.

Yeah i was looking at the KYB, I think im going to go with those but i think im going to need some fresh springs where could i get those? i have like $600 to spend on suspension

I bought mine for less than 3 hundred for all 4. I got a little better deal than you will, but you can get close to that. The springs should be around 50 bucks a corner. Look in our "Vendor's" section, http://www.subarugenuineparts.com/

should be able to hook you up with the springs. Used ones will do fine too. I got my set of 4 for 50 bucks. Look around your local craiglist.

600 bucks is plenty to get it lifted a little.

142newtire3-med.jpg

I bought mine for less than 3 hundred for all 4. I got a little better deal than you will, but you can get close to that. The springs should be around 50 bucks a corner. Look in our "Vendor's" section, genuinesubaruparts should be able to hook you up with the springs. Used ones will do fine too. I got my set of 4 for 50 bucks. 600 bucks is plenty to get it lifted a little.

he already has used ones

but it looks like the consensus is that i'm wrong about the price, and i hope that's true.

good luck to you

The KYB's i found were 316 for 4 struts and i havent found any springs yet. I might be able to spend a good deal more if i wait like two more weeks. My poor subarus suspension is so done that if i turn hard it will bottom out so i have just been driving my RX-7