Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lifting a 95 impL, AA kit vs strut/spring lift?

sayn3ver

so will the 27inch super swamper ssr's (27x9.50 R15) fit with struts/springs? My understanding from here and just general subaru tuning is that due to our high offset and suspension geometry, width is and always will be the limiting factor on tire selection(wider tires are always need to autox and pavement racing and wider tires are nice in off road as well not to mention tire height is usualy only a percentage of overall width.)

So i can't fit outback parts on the subaru(outback strut spring with impreza strut top?). If not, forester parts it is.

Are the scorpion springs for the forester worth getting, or will they not fit(no one seems to have an answer. It seems that people think the ride will be too harsh/to stiff for decent off road performance. Requardless, i think for cost reasons, stock forester parts will do fine for my needs.

Mmm, i can see it all now.

don't get sucked into the myth that wider tires = better off road performance!

IMHO, it can help, but it can hurt too. personally, I think tread pattern, and height (only for ground clearance though) are your only major concern as far as tires go.

I can't say whether the outback struts will not work on yours, but I do know, the forester parts WILL work on your impreza, and I think you still need the tops from your impreza.....but do a search, I know there is more info for sure

again, I don't have an EJ subaru, so I have no idea, but I think those swampers should fit. but don't quote me on it

I would say that scorpion springs would definately be overkill. the forester springs will give you more than enough suspension lift, and I do think that the scorpion springs will just limit your flex off road. not to mention the fact that I think they're only available in australia

As of right now, i have some money to burn and would like to start modding my car again. Its still pretty much stripped. I have 2 gallons of herculiner and an undercoating air gun i am gonna use this summer to coat the inside of my car with. Its currently stripped down to the top of the dash, the 2 fronts seats and the shifter/ebrake. The radio and all the center peices are sitting in the attic, and the door panels are even off and all the tar has been peeled up. I have been meaning to get around to taking out the headliner but havent had time. I originally did this because i wanted to rallyx the car and the interior i had was all dirty smelly from the previous owner and thought herculiner would be nicer than scuzzy carpet. I want to wait till summer because i want to take it and get a 8 point roll bar welded in(i dont know how to weld and i do not own a welder) and then i am gonna herc the car once that is in.

But for the time being i'd like to do some off roading(more serious than just small mud puddles) and plan on picking up some forester kyb's and some forester springs. I just need to know what size tires i can fit.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 97 Brighton Coupe and I used Monroe Sensa-tracs, off a 99 legacy, with my stock Coils and got about 2 inches all the way around, the length difference in the struts, i think if i had swapped the coils as well id have gotten more but im working on a limited income. I would also swap out the upper strut mounts while your in there, i didn't and really regretted it, the stock ones were shot and knocking like mad it sounded like a broken strut but was actually the mount. Anyways it looks good in the front, but the rear doesn't seem that much higher it actally looks lower in the rear.

I know this was a long ramble with no real point but its good to know that another imp coupe is gonna be lifted,:clap: be sure to post some pix id like to see it when its done. :banana:

actually, there is a slight detour. AFter romping around in the snow on sunday(in the rather vast tristate snow storm), on the way home i managed to slide into my brothers rear bumper at a stop light(he has a 98 dodge ram1500) and his bumper and part of his hitch did a number on my front driver side corner(rad support, bumper beam, diver side light and corner light, hood, grille, ac condenser). i will be getting it fixed, luckily, for very cheap with my dad's connections and in addition to the front end damage i will getting my rear driver side quater panel rust fixed as well and possibly a full repaint for very cheap. I also owe my brother money for punching a 6inch lenght of his roll pan in. So i wont be getting any lifting done until the end of march most likely. Luckily, it was a low speed impact of 5mph or less but big steel hitch vs tin can subaru sheet metal = not a good combo. I am debating on ordering a steel tube bumper from mudrat instead of fixing the bumper beam.