Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!
|Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.
We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!
Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!
Posted 15 October 2003 - 06:06 PM
with this collective intellgence regarding subarus, i outa be able to get an answer....
I have an '84 GL Wagon, the old PKmobile...
It has a new rebuilt alternator, and new battery.
after the rebuilt alt went in, my charging problem went away, and my volt gauge read 13.5 or so volts all the time, regardless of electrical things being used.
after the new battery went in, it was the same. Now, about 2-3 months later, it is doing weird things. Sometimes the volt gauge reads 13.5v, sometimes 8v, sometimes 10v. If I hook a multimeter to the battery, it is reporting 14 volts. The battery never gets discharged, so the charging system is apparently working.
When I turn the key to acc and all gauges have power, the volt gauge reads 8v. Sometimes while driving it jumps to 13.5v, and back again.
My question is:
Were is the most likely place for a bad ground, or short?
I remember reading about a wire under the seat, passenger or driver I don't recall, that people have said gets worn. The backup light switch wire was grounding, that is fixed.
Any ideas? Besides living with it, I mean!
Posted 15 October 2003 - 07:24 PM
I would first look at the smaller wire coming from the positive battery post that feeds the all the accessories of the car. There may be internal corrosion in the wire. Another place to look at is the fuselinks. These should be in a small box near the battery. The fuselinks can become loose in the connectors.
If these areas are ok then I would check the wiring that is tied to the voltmeter.
Posted 16 October 2003 - 02:54 AM
High current devices include:
Wanna Be Fog lights
Electric cooling fans
To be added:
Fan motor (inside)
Prefribly the running lights and dash lights also
The fun part? finding the ground returns!:-\
Posted 16 October 2003 - 05:04 AM
Couple other items to check.
The spade connector where the main fusible link connects (closest to the strut tower or furthest from the bat) heat can melt plastic around it and make the female loose it's tension)
Replacement links are available from Subaru BTW. New one with fresh female connectors are better than boneyard models IMHO
Another source of problems is with the main connector to the ignition switch. Under the trim panel beneith the st. col is a pink connector, check it for signs of heat fatige and melting.
hope this helps
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users