Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Advice on a 1997 legacy outback.....

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kipper26

kipper26

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • west wareham

Posted 26 February 2006 - 09:19 PM

Hey guys...I just joined the forum because I am thinking about buying a 1997 legacy outback with 92,000 miles on it. I just turned 19 today and I am going to be commuting to college in the fall about 40 min drive. I am just wondering if anyone would own an outback and can givce me the positives and negatives about their experience. The car is also being sold for 5,500 which I find pretty good becaus ethe retail says 8 grand, but I wnat to know what you guys think.

Thanks,

Kip

#2 subyrally

subyrally

Trust your Turbo-Lust

• Members
  • 2,888 posts
  • frederick, md

Posted 26 February 2006 - 10:23 PM

wrong forum, but sounds like a good deal. you want to look in the new school forum.

#3 jeffast

jeffast

f*** im 24

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • midwestren

Posted 26 February 2006 - 10:48 PM

sounds ok but your in the wrong forum

#4 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 26 February 2006 - 11:31 PM

Not anymore :D

Moved

#5 JPX

JPX

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • San Jose

Posted 27 February 2006 - 12:32 AM

Hey guys...I just joined the forum because I am thinking about buying a 1997 legacy outback with 92,000 miles on it. I just turned 19 today and I am going to be commuting to college in the fall about 40 min drive. I am just wondering if anyone would own an outback and can givce me the positives and negatives about their experience. The car is also being sold for 5,500 which I find pretty good becaus ethe retail says 8 grand, but I wnat to know what you guys think.
Thanks,
Kip

These are pretty good commuter cars. Mileage is better overall in a Honda or a Toyota than a comparably equipped Subaru. But the AWD is the clincher isn't it?:brow:

Watch out for head gaskets - if the car has had any history of coolant leakage, overheating or mixing oil with the coolant (check the reservior). This means checking out the water pump as well.

Oil leaks - front crank and cam seals. Easy to spot since it drips right on top of the exhaust Y pipe just behind the crossmember. Timing belt change is usually a good idea if things progress this far.

Wheel bearings - at 80K+ the originals are probably going to start going out.

And get a small pillow for your lower back!

Good luck with your purchasing decision!;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users