Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New B with 96 Legacy Outback NO start

Hello

Just got a 96 Outback with a blown head gasket, replaced the head gaskets had the heads cleaned and pressure tested new valve seals ect.

re-surfaced. Put the engine together, No start??? got the timing belt on as it says in the Haynes manual lined up the marks on the new timing belt and installed it and they all looked good. Everything is hooked up, dont think i missed anything.

got this car for 250 so i hope it runs cause it was a very good deal.

if anyone can help please!!

Thanks a lot for looking!!

Long

Hello

Just got a 96 Outback with a blown head gasket, replaced the head gaskets had the heads cleaned and pressure tested new valve seals ect.

re-surfaced. Put the engine together, No start??? got the timing belt on as it says in the Haynes manual lined up the marks on the new timing belt and installed it and they all looked good. Everything is hooked up, dont think i missed anything.

got this car for 250 so i hope it runs cause it was a very good deal.

if anyone can help please!!

Thanks a lot for looking!!

Long

you need fuel air and spark to run.

DOes the car crank

DO you have spark

DO you have injectors operating

DId it run b4 you replaced the HG

How many miles on the car

nipper

does the spark sem like it is happening at the proper time, and is it a strong blue spark.

are the injectors firing properly.

could be the engine temp sens for the ECU

i am assuming you took the engine out to fix the heads, double check all your wiring

nipper

hold a strip of paper near the tailpipe while someone cranks the car. If the paper tries to 'suck back in' the tailpipe - you have incorrect valve timing or a stuck valve.

I recall reading here it can take several seconds to pressure up the fuel system if it has been opened. After cranking, if you took out a plug would it be wet with fuel?

The timing belt had marks on it, a double mark at the crank, and two marks on each cam. Do you have to rotate the engine for certain amount of rev. to check the timing belt alignment?

It has original spark plug wires, it says 95, would they be junk and not working? i had a similar problem on a different car.

Thanks Guys, i have to goto work but i will check out more on it when i get back.

The timing belt had marks on it, a double mark at the crank, and two marks on each cam. Do you have to rotate the engine for certain amount of rev. to check the timing belt alignment?

It has original spark plug wires, it says 95, would they be junk and not working? i had a similar problem on a different car.

Thanks Guys, i have to goto work but i will check out more on it when i get back.

the timing belt? if you truly mean the timing belt itself, i hope you didnt use those "marks". You use the marks on the cams and the crank pully only. And even those can be tough.

nipper

the timing belt? if you truly mean the timing belt itself, i hope you didnt use those "marks". You use the marks on the cams and the crank pully only. And even those can be tough.

nipper

I lined everything up as it says in the Haynes book. i used the marks on the crank pully and cam pullys as stated in the haynes manual.

I checked to see if my timing marks where right, I noticed that the Left Exhaust cam gear is off by a little bit, would this make it not start? I am going to take it all apart and re-install the timing belt.

I took out a spark plug, got fuel and spark. got 155 psi for compression, on the 1st cyl.

I checked to see if my timing marks where right, I noticed that the Left Exhaust cam gear is off by a little bit, would this make it not start? I am going to take it all apart and re-install the timing belt.

I took out a spark plug, got fuel and spark. got 155 psi for compression, on the 1st cyl.

If it is off by one tooth, it wont start.

nipper