Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I think this is my first post in this forum even tho my wife has a BAJA and I have a 2.5RS Impreza, but here goes. I have installed the complete suspension from my daughter's wrecked '95 Impreza Outback Sport station wagon on my '83 Brat. The placement of the lower spring mounts that are welded to the strut tube will not let me install oversize tires without interference problems. I found the true solution and that is to install a complete coil-over kit for about $1500. Does anyone make a kit that you can just cut off the lower spring mount and re-use (or buy new struts) install a new lower spring mount that uses a smaller dia coil spring and a new top spring mount. This will give me the extra room for larger diameter tires. If this is in the wrong forum, SORRY :slobber: . Any input will be appreciated. Thanks, Gary

Seems like your best solution would be Outback struts, since they have a lot more tire clearance. Another option is 2003+ Forester struts (98-02 Forester rear struts have less tire clearance).

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=52126

Thanks for the thread. I'll check out the specs on my wife's '03 Baja. I think it has the highest ground clearance of all our 'Ru's. If it will work I'll convince her she needs new struts on the Baja and then I'll keep the 'old' ones for myself:brow: . I should be ashamed of myself....NOT! Gary

Take a good look at the length of the Baja rear struts, because they may be quite a bit different and may not fit on the Imp.
You are correct-o-mundo. I only had time last night to take a glance at them (she must have ESP) as she kept a close eye on me last night. Rears look very different but the fronts look like they will work. Still won't know until I can actually remove a wheel. Maybe t'm'r'o, would be nice to finally get a day here in the 50's. LOL Gary

Take a good look at the length of the Baja rear struts, because they may be quite a bit different and may not fit on the Imp.
1999 Legacy Outback front struts are two inches longer and the lower spring mount is 1 7/8" higher than the Impreza Outback Sport strut. I might have to modify my upper strut mount as I allready have 4.5" of lift added at that point. now I know 6.5" lift sounds cool but I don't want to break any CV joints either. Thanks again for all the help. Gary

Interesting thought, is the '02-'04 stuff the same as my '95?

I dunno, if no one here has experience with that, try the suspension forum at www.nasioc.com . I think there are other manufaturers that have coilover setups that don't need to lower perch - some may require welding - I dunno. Probably just need to find the right internal dia. to fit the strut housing and then the right spring rates. After you get some names of manufacturers - probably a coupla emails will tell you if it's feasible.

sorry i got nuthin else!

Carl

I dunno, if no one here has experience with that, try the suspension forum at www.nasioc.com . I think there are other manufaturers that have coilover setups that don't need to lower perch - some may require welding - I dunno. Probably just need to find the right internal dia. to fit the strut housing and then the right spring rates. After you get some names of manufacturers - probably a coupla emails will tell you if it's feasible.

sorry i got nuthin else!

Carl

Thanks, Carl..I'll check them out. Gary