Ultimate Subaru Message Board

location of starter motor - EJ20

Hi there.

Look I'm not used to the layout of the legacy's under the bonnet.

My starter motor has crapped out & need to replace it.

don't want to pay a mechanic to do it, not when I have done it on previous cars.

Can someone please tell me where the bloody thing is :confused: and any additional need to know info regardingdoing a home job?

Thanks in advance

it's not that bad.

look next to the transmission on the right hand side. if it's turbo, you may need to pull off the IC stuff, ect. to see it. I don't remember. it's been a while since I have seen a right hand drive EJ20T motor.

in either case, a subaru is a very easy starter change in comparison to other cars. I did one in an S-10 one time that took me about 5 hours! THERE WAS NO ROOM!

Not sure about the 2.0 but over here, on the 2.2s at least, starter is to the rear of the motor near the firewall on the left (our driver's side.) Comes off with two bolts (two different sizes!) One is easiest reached from under the hood (bonnet), the other from underneath the car.

Are you sure the starter itself is bad? Could be something as simple as burned/pitted contacts on the solenoid--a relatively easy and inexpensive fix.

Good luck.

The two sizes are 14mm (a bolt at the top), and 17mm (a nut below). You will also need a 12mm box wrench to remove the battery cable from the rear of the solenoid. Remember to remove the ground cable from the battery first, or things may get interesting if that cable touches anything metal. . .