Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I must confess, I haven't change my oil timely, but I've notice that oil disappears slightly after two to three months of driving, but I don't see any sign of leaking at the bottom of the engine. It's totally dry. The only sign of oil seems to be like droplets (many of them) just behind the left of the engine and by the front left kick panel (or front wall). It's lots of droplets of oil but I can't seem to locate where they came from. No wet or leaking sign anywhere. I'm very puzzled. Anybody have this problem before? Where to look for?

Are you sure the oil drops aren't actually grease. I had a cv joint boot crack and sling grease all over the same area you are talking about. As far as the losing oil it is very probable that you are just burning some oil in the engine. It isn't unusual to burn a slight amount over such a long period of time.

If you have a leak under pressure, as opposed to - say - a bad pan gasket, it may drip out only when the engine has run awhile. You didn't mention anything about your car but an older vehicle could have a bad pressure sending unit or a clogged PCV valve/hose which might cause leaking while the engine is running. If you let the vehicle idel for a while would you get consistent drips in one spot?

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Nathan is correct. I looked at the CV boot of the inner axle and to my surprise, it is broken into two halves.

My question is: Is the inner and outer CV boot interchangeable? For some reason, I told the salesman it is the outer boot so I got it but when I got home and really took a look at it, I meant to say it's the inner boot.

So, someone please tell me it's interchangeable so that I don't have to drive back to the store.

Thanks to Nathan for pointing this out.