Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Scored a FREE 85 GL-10 sedan today

Ok I found this Gl-10 sedan today. The guy told me he took it to his mechanic and the guy said, "broken timing belt so you got bent valves now". We all know that is not the case. The guy replaced the timing belts but it still would not run so, he gave up. I brought it home and checked to see how the belts were lined up with the marks. Not even close. So after about 20 minutes I had everything where it was supposed to be and one turn of the key and the 85 was alive again. Now I just have one question. It idles way too high. Like at about 2500 rpm's. After a few minutes it will finally come down but so low that it does not want to idle. Less then 500 rpm's. Any suggestions as to what I should do? Besides that little problem and a broken LH tail light I think I have gotten a pretty good score. Not even a rip in any of the seats!

I think I have come to the conclussion that the engine in this Subie is tired. It is leaking oil everywhere. Looks like it has lost the rear main seal. The clutch feels almost gone. So I think it looks like rebuild time. It is just to nice of a car to just throw away.

Wait, try this before you junk it....it sounds like no-one before you knew what was going on with this little subi..soooo they may have turned this and pulled that,in the hope of a quick fix..before you start it next time..turn the airspeed bypass screw on the throttle body..out 2 turns or so from seating..this should give you an acceptable idle.....then i would check your ignition timing..being FI, the cpu may need to have the 2 green plugs connected and the timing reset ...i know this may not work..though the engine has turned when the timing was out on the cams..so the ecu might be trying to correct itself once the engine warms up and ecu is fully operational , cheers