Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Electrolisis..and your soobi...!!

Did you ever wonder, how the hell can i stop corrosion in my soobi engine?

tight intake bolts etc etc...

I think i have a solution guy,s?!!!!

This may be one for the USRM.. in the regulalr maintenance section.

For a few years now i have been experimenting with anti corrosive theorys,.....:brow:

and maybe i have come up with a cool idea..(maybe)

last time i did head gaskets on my ea82t..i bought a 18mm rod of aluminum.....i then proceeded to cut a 2 inch (51.2mm aprox.. for the imperial impaired) length off the rod.

I then fitted this aluminum chunk into the large water jacket hole in the block,just above the centre of the cylinders...if you had heads off before youll know the hole i mean.

I only fitted it to the distributer side,but could be fitted to both sides,

i wreckon 3 years is long enough for head gaskets on a turbo..

Anyways..when i disassembled the engine this time there where no signs of tight bolts anywhere.....no corrosion to be seen..and what do you know..the sacrificial rod..was almost all eaten away....:brow: :brow: ..

So what do you think guy,s...am i on to somethin here..or just peeing into the wind?

I was going to put in some lead but decided on aluminum....

any response,s on this theory would be welcome......

I learnt about this a couple of weeks ago! Finally the school taught me something with some relevance!

From what I know it sounds like a good idea. Though wouldn't you have lots of aluminium corroded junk floating round in there?

Good thinking though.:)

Cathodic protection....... (Sacraficial rod/material)

Which metal would make the best Cathodic protection? (zinc?) as recomended by Torxx? Sounds like this is used.. I know they make different rods for diffent mix of materials etc... as for puting strips of a sacraficial rod into the engine....great idea! As long as it couldn't reduce down and make its way to the water pump...Thunk...

But, could this also be a bolt on idea? You know a bit of sacraficial metal into the coolant line with a connecting wire back too the engine to form a circuit so a person could add this feature at any time, not just when the engine is apart?

More ramblings: .01 cent worth. (probably less)

The most common application (in the home) is in the water heater. There is a long rod that extends down into the tank which is attacked leaving the tank uneffected by the reaction of dissimilar metals & fluids....untill the rod is eaten up. Anytime you have dissimilar metals make contact electralisis comes into play. The rate of reaction depends how well the metals get along, or don't get along...:mad:

I had no idea this was an issue on these engines! Absolutly something too consider. I would have too agree with Torxx that it would be of a metal more easily attacked (Zinc) then the base metal..(Alum. rod in a Alum engine).(anyone know a good metalergist?) Do a search on the internet and find who makes the Zinc ones and ask them what other mixes they may have and or recommend for these engines.

Interesting subject...... this could make an interesting follow up.

I know someone probably knows all about this and will post but interesting..

Alright, well back to the zinc thing. I work on a commercial fishing boat. We haul salmon from the fishing grounds into town. Sometimes its 4 or 5 day wait before the fish get off the boat. I run the refrigeration system on the boat. I think just in the engine room alone, there are 10 to 15 zinc sticks going in the RSW pipes, condenser and the heat exchange pipes.

We use 15 Kw pumps which for their size, you think the impellors would chew the hell out of anything foreign in the system. They dont work too well with chunks of hard stuff going through them. So we use zinc...

Down in the hatches, There are two foot long by 4 inches wide strips of zinc.

Outside of the boat also had zinc in a few places.

Thats why I said use zinc.

Easiest way to do it. Throw a zinc in a threaded hole like the CTS. the electrolisis will eat down the zinc, but it shouldnt come off in big chunks that are going to hurt anything.