Ultimate Subaru Message Board

quick poll for the phase I blown head gasket owners

i just got a call yesterday from the shop working on my car that the right head gasket is probably the one thats blown, which got me thinking....

did anyone else have just one of their head gaskets go? if so, which side was it? (if you replaced both at the same time, which one was in worse condition?)

i would find it very odd for both to go at the exact same time unless the car was severly overheated. if one blows the other is likely compromised and not far behind.

did anyone else have just one of their head gaskets go?
this is probably everyone that has head gaskets blow. but if it is severly overheated or continually driven, the other will let go as well. but for the most part you'll find that one side will be the culprit first.

It would take a pretty catastrophic event to destroy both head gaskets at the same time, or you'd have to run for a while with one gone to ruin the other one. Usually people realize there's a problem when the first HG goes, so they stop driving and fix it. I've torn down a lot of H-4, V-8, and V-6 engines over the years, and haven't yet seen one with both HG gone.

hmm...very interesting results thus far.

i got back from the shop and they said my passenger side head gasket had a gash or something similar in it, causing the compression to be lower and therefore allowing them to find it. i'm not too worried about the other being damaged because everything was kosher on that side of the motor and i always turned off the engine when it was getting hot (not at hot) (and i'll just find some time to replace the other in the near future if that is the case) wish i could replace both, but i'm constrained on time, so one will have to do.....

just wondering if one side was causing the problem or not

Definitely the pasenger side on my 97 Outback.

As far as your statement about "lack of time to repair both head gaskets" I think once you consider....

1) The intake manifold has to be removed...from both heads.

2) The exhaust manifold has to be removed....from both heads.

3) The timing belt will have to be removed and or replaced.

4) Cooling system flush and refill.

5) IF the one head needs machine work, such as surfacing the head a few thousandths of an inch, you'll want to machine the other head the same amount to keep the compression ratio similar on both sides of the engine. Of course, one may have to be surfaced a bit more than the other, and you won't know by doing only one head.

I think if you consider the above, and the thought that the old one may take out the new one, you're really looking at a false economy by only replacing the one head gasket, and waiting "for the time" to do the other...if need be.:cool:

yeah, i know, but i'm not repairing it, a shop is. and they want to charge 400 to do the other, am i'm like nooooooooo....f' that, i'll do it later.

i needed the car by monday, and im getting it back tomorrow, so i'm happy (broke, but happy)