Ultimate Subaru Message Board

white smoke

hello subaru lovers, it's been two times that my engine does that: turns but doesn't start when it's rainy or real moist outside. Then i wait for a couple of hours and it starts well.

Then when it starts, there's a huge white smoke load that comes out my muffler for a couple of minutes...

Can't see what it is...head gasket maybe

Thanks

downunder

Weird - my EA82 sedan did that the other morning. Wasn't a no start tho - it started and ran rough (somewhat unsual), and a HUGE cloud of white smoke/vapor poured out for a minute. I of course shut it down and drove my Brat that day instead assuming the hot weather the day before and large amount of AC usage had finally done in the HG at 220k miles. When I got home it started up and there was nothing. Runs fine, and no strange incidents since then. This was several weeks ago. I checked the coolant when I got home too - it took maybe a half a quart of water.

I'm thinking intake manifold gaskets probably. I've got a weber on it, so carb base is new. I suspect it was just the angle I parked it at and one cylinder got a little water in it. Either that or it could be the rust hole in my trunk and the leaky trunk lid - perhaps I had a bunch of water that ran out onto my exhaust.

Who knows - I care nothing about this car, and it's simply an experiment to see how many miles I can go on a car I've spent less than $500 on. $260 so far and over 9,000 miles. (I'm not counting the cost of the Weber, since of course I'll take that back off if the car goes away - different expense catagory much like oil and filters).

:confused:

GD

I'd go with the intake gaskets too. Mine did the "white smoke" thing if I drove more than say 50 miles then let it sit a while, then start it. Short trips had no affect on it.

I had made my own intake gaskets, just to get engine running after swapping intake and installing Weber, and had the proper gaskets on order. When I pulled the intake to install the new gaskets, the home-made ones had blown out between the water passage and the intake port. :eek: