Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine transplant and CIS-E

I may have come to a solution to my no money, no engine problem, I can get a used EA82 spfi for 100 bucks, I think I would do this:

EA82 5spd Dual range

EA82 motor with bosh CIS-E system and spider intake (check the repair manual for the swap info)

I chose the CIS-E for better power and simple wiring

what do you think?

by the way, its an 84 Brat

also, do you think An ea82 (former SPFI) with CIS-E and a spider intake is more powerfull than a EA82 MPFI?

AK

You will need to put the MPFI heads on the SPFI block in order to use the spider intake, (Jes sayin it for others reading that may not know, I'm sure you already do). The MPFI has a lower compression ratio than the SPFI, so you will already have a higher compression than the multiport (9.5:1 instead of 9:1). If the CIS-E is tuned right, then it should make alittle more power than jes a stock multi system.

One of the things that you'll need to pick up is a carb'd distributor for the EA82, cause the SPFI dizzy is an optical unit, and rely's on the computer in order to work, shouldn't be too hard to pick on up though, I see carb'd motors in the wrecking yards till my eyes bleed. When you set the timing, set it a little bid retarded, this will take up slack for the higher compression, and it prolly won't ping, either that, or jes richen up the CIS more than normal. So you have emissions in your area, that may complicate things?

No matter whot your doing though, you'll still end up spending money. I have enough parts laying around to build like 3 or 4 cars, yet I'm always shelling out cash on things. Works that way for some reason. Specially when your doing a swap of any kind. But it's usually low amounts of cash that you really need, it's always the small stuff that kills me. Lotsa luck to ya, keep us updated, and if you run into any trouble I can help ya out.

I got most of the crap about the CIS-E thing down, I would post the link but I can't get to the repair manual for some reason.

I think I'll have to pay 400+ for it all, 100 engine, 100 tranny kit, 100 for the trans, 50-100 for CIS-E system and more for misc. stuff. = $$:banghead:$$ Yowza!!!

I'll keep ya updated, but I am a procrastiantor and I'm not gonna do this for awhile anyway, just runnin' this by you guys.

whats so cool about the cis system?

the mpfi is good enough to deal with 14lbs of boost. you cant realy compare that to a na spfi shortblock with a spider intake. i say rage what subaru gives you. mpfi

but the money thing, i agree. anytime you go messing with cars, it will cost you more than you had dreamed.

if the MPFI engine is the same compression as a SPFI and the CIS-E sys. gives about the samer power, I should go with the MPFI.

except the CIS-E has easier wiring.

How hard would it be to wire a MPFI into my BRAT?

Depends. How much time do you have to spend on this project. I wasn't working at the time I did mine, so all my time was devoted entirely to the project. Took me an entire week straight to get it up and working. Then another month after that to work out all the bugs. And those weren't short days either. I worked from sun up to sun down, dureing the summer. I also had 4 sets of different schematics I was working from. But now that I've done it once already, I think that I could get it done in half the time without any of the other problems that I had after I got it up and running. Once you get the engine/computer harness separated from the rest of the cars harness (the two are intertwined into each other pretty good), things aren't too bad from there. The easiest way to do it is to take the entire cars harness, hook up the engine and computer, then follow the wires too and from, pulling off everything that isn't associated. There will be several power wires (6 If I remember correctly) and too many ground wires to count. Just take your time, and go through it all slowly. An FSM of the donor car helps out a lot. Also dig up any and every other schematic you can find, they will all come in handy. One of the hardest things that I had to deal with was the fuel tank, if you can dig one up from a Turbo Brat or wagon this will make the world a whole lot better. Unless your going with a fuel cell, then I guess it really isn't a problems at all. I wanted to use my stock fill port and fuel guage, so it was important to me. The biggest thing though is to take your time, this is definatly something that can't be rushed. Lotsa luck to ya.