Ultimate Subaru Message Board

vibration / shaking at high speeds? 87 GL

Just wanted to make sure this was okay. I drive between college and my hometown every couple of months, this involves about 5-6 hrs of diving on the interstate 5 in california, I love to go fast, my 87 GL, does not. so when I hit ~5k rpm or 85+ mph, the steering wheel and car start to shake / vibrate, is there anyway I can fix this or is it just normal?

also, one more problem, my AC belt SCREAMS on the freeway, is there any easy way to tighten / fix this myself and easily? thanks.

Well... Answers:

• First of All: Shakin´ is due to Tyres: Unbalanced Tyres \ Bad Alignment / Bad Air Pressure \ or Different Kind of Tyres in Front / Rear; or Left \ Right. (Also -rarely- can be due to a Damaged Rims)

So: Check if all four tyres are of the Same Kind; or Almost the Two in Front shall be the same, as the Two in Rear... but not compleately nessesary the Four, but is Highly Suggested.

• The A\C Belt screamin´ is Due to a Loose Belt.

So: You can Try to Tighten it more, but maybe it is Old, and a Old Belt became more bigger in size, so I Suggest you to Change it.

I did Suffer too much time with those crappy Belts... so after testing so many kinds, I discover the perfect belt to the A\C Unit of the EA82: This is the Number 7375 (XL) Belt from Gates Brand. (Its measurements are: 3/8" X 38-1/8" -inches- or: 9.5/10 mm X 970 mm )

Good Luck! :)

yeay. im not the only one.

My loyale vibrates at high speeds too.

Its the tires, i got new ones finally. But before them the rear tires would get the slightest bit out of balance and my car would then tend to try and bounce its way into the next lane. :lol: I was doing alot of work on my car at the time (no upgrades, just keeping it running:-\ ) and i would balance the rear tires atleast once a month. But after i got new one on all 4's it as good, as... well not new but atleast its not trying to attack other vehicles on the road.:clap:

ive noticed that the same tires will be a bit shakier and noisier, and generally if its not a great tire will be more of a PITA on the back than on the front.. which seemed odd, until i considered the fact that the front axle is carrying probly 70% of the weight...