Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What size tap is used for the head bolts?

Ok, I decided not to permenintly glue my head bolts in with permitex:lol: .

But I would like to chace the head bolt holes with a tap. I was guessing that the head bolts were a 12 - 125 pitch, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The head bolts I took out of the engine matches the 125 pitch but the diameter of the bolt is smaller then a 12. The head bolt fits a 7/16" NF nut but if I lay a 7/16" NF tap lengthwise on the headbolt the threads do not match the entire length of the tap.

If they made such a tap I would say it is a 11 - 125. So whats up? :cool:

Turbone. next time I get first call on the special o-rings. Jason thought that was funny I knew you. In case, I overnight four of them from him. I also have some extra turbo gaskets for ya.

And another FYI. The mechanics at Puyallup Subaru need to go back to school. They couldn't tell me what size the head bolts are and also told me that it wasn't possable to chase the threads because they are to far down the hole. He also said that I must own an Impreza because of the o-ring deal. WTF :eek: I guess the customer is never right.

Anyway, I am more interested in my tap issue. I need my MPG saver back.

Hey, there should have been another pair of those o-rings. I almost bought 4, but decided I only needed 2. Someone else must have come in after me:rolleyes:

Just clean the headbolts and use a good clean one as a tap. Thats what I plan on doing. I just need to get away from here and DO IT. I did managed to clean up one head and cam case, it sparkles:D I've spent more time cleaning than assembly. As usual:cool:

ah....right on turbone! use a head bolt to clean them. some people "doctor" them up for cleaning...cut a noth in them or something. i've never done it and if you don't have an extra then it does you no good anyway. use a head bolt, i've done that before and it works fine. keep cleaning the threads off as you go.