Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What size tap is used for the head bolts?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 heep70

heep70

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 496 posts
  • Bonney Lake

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:00 PM

Ok, I decided not to permenintly glue my head bolts in with permitex:lol: .

But I would like to chace the head bolt holes with a tap. I was guessing that the head bolts were a 12 - 125 pitch, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The head bolts I took out of the engine matches the 125 pitch but the diameter of the bolt is smaller then a 12. The head bolt fits a 7/16" NF nut but if I lay a 7/16" NF tap lengthwise on the headbolt the threads do not match the entire length of the tap.

If they made such a tap I would say it is a 11 - 125. So whats up? :cool:

Turbone. next time I get first call on the special o-rings. Jason thought that was funny I knew you. In case, I overnight four of them from him. I also have some extra turbo gaskets for ya.

And another FYI. The mechanics at Puyallup Subaru need to go back to school. They couldn't tell me what size the head bolts are and also told me that it wasn't possable to chase the threads because they are to far down the hole. He also said that I must own an Impreza because of the o-ring deal. WTF :eek: I guess the customer is never right.

Anyway, I am more interested in my tap issue. I need my MPG saver back.

#2 All_talk

All_talk

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,093 posts
  • Thorp (Ellensburg)

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:44 PM

Yep, 11 x 1.25 bastard size, but I do remember seeing taps that size in the MSC catalog.

Gary

#3 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,005 posts
  • WV

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:46 PM

i've had no problems sourcing 11x1.25 tap at local stores.

#4 heep70

heep70

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 496 posts
  • Bonney Lake

Posted 22 June 2006 - 06:00 PM

Just grand, I didn't want to here that it is a 11 - 125. Looks like Marland has all them. Were in Puget sound can I get one without ordering?

#5 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 20,005 posts
  • WV

Posted 22 June 2006 - 06:04 PM

hardware stores, any tool supply stores?

#6 heep70

heep70

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 496 posts
  • Bonney Lake

Posted 22 June 2006 - 06:07 PM

Like McClendons? Nope, they never heard of it. They are the biggest one near me that I know of. Maybe Home depot will. HHHmmmmmmm

#7 All_talk

All_talk

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,093 posts
  • Thorp (Ellensburg)

Posted 22 June 2006 - 06:31 PM

I think you’re gonna have to look at some place a little more industrial, Fastenal, Tacoma Screw, Grangers or the like.

Gary

#8 heep70

heep70

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 496 posts
  • Bonney Lake

Posted 22 June 2006 - 06:39 PM

Locktite is sounding better again. :drunk:

#9 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,135 posts
  • WA

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:37 PM

Hey, there should have been another pair of those o-rings. I almost bought 4, but decided I only needed 2. Someone else must have come in after me:rolleyes:
Just clean the headbolts and use a good clean one as a tap. Thats what I plan on doing. I just need to get away from here and DO IT. I did managed to clean up one head and cam case, it sparkles:D I've spent more time cleaning than assembly. As usual:cool:

#10 heep70

heep70

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 496 posts
  • Bonney Lake

Posted 22 June 2006 - 10:04 PM

Do you do windows?

Yes, the thought of using a good head bolt has crossed my mind. My neighbor is a heavy equipment mechanic. He usually has what I need.

#11 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 20,005 posts
  • WV

Posted 23 June 2006 - 06:19 AM

ah....right on turbone! use a head bolt to clean them. some people "doctor" them up for cleaning...cut a noth in them or something. i've never done it and if you don't have an extra then it does you no good anyway. use a head bolt, i've done that before and it works fine. keep cleaning the threads off as you go.

#12 heep70

heep70

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 496 posts
  • Bonney Lake

Posted 23 June 2006 - 05:37 PM

Yep, I used a head bolt with some pentrating oil. Worked great. Thanks

#13 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,135 posts
  • WA

Posted 24 June 2006 - 12:58 AM

Is it running yet?:D
I got the heads and intake on mine. Got to put a different turbo on, the old one was toast. Might have it running by the first of the week.
Oh yeah, new clutch also.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users