Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ATTN: EA82 home made lifts, Please read this

El Toro

So I'm contemplating doing my own lift on my 86 wagon. have plans all drawn up with the knowledge from the board and a few outside influences. one thing I'm still wrestling with is the bracket for the rear tower. i have seen the AA one but wondered what home grown people were doing it. so let me see those picks! plus any advice you would give.:headbang:

Dunno about EA82(coilover rear shocks) but my torsion bar EA81 got clocked down a notch, now I gotta put 1.5" box steel to make the front match the rear height. The rear diff is in STOCK location with no DOJ failure for several years. Especially with the rear tire like four feet off the ground. But, GD's EA82 DOJ cup swap is pretty cool, I might do that if I get longer shocks. The rear travel is unbelievable when I took the shocks out, almost cannot jack the rear tires off the ground!!!!!! I don't recommend trying that at all. I only did that when I was swapping new shocks in.

i dunno if this helps, but the rear coilover mounts on my 84 wagon are nothing but 4 inch sections of beefy angle iron bolted directly through the wheelwell. It sounds goofy, but i have pounded the snot out of it, and it seems to work well. The angle iron sits with one flat side down, and the other side bolted to the body, with grade 8 bolts, and reinforced with plate on the backside (inside the car) I drilled a hole in the bottom flat side to accept the coilover assy. I have the disc brake conversion, with no torsion bar, and have had no probs with this setup.

thanks for the info! i think i might do something similar. like using a 6inX6in square plate of 1/4 steel, dilling 2 sets of holes with 4in between the sets followed by serious bashing to mimic the curve of the fender well. any one done something like this? and do you think this would be strong enough?

the only thing that we will have to f with is the steering -lack of- extension, buy some beer, and metal, and come over some tiime, and we will take some pictures of our own work.

he has a point...less talk more do:horse:

• 2 weeks later...