Ultimate Subaru Message Board

caliper piston ?

Hello everybody

I recently bought a 94 subaru loyale as a second car and i'm unfamiler with subarus. anyway I thought would spend an hour putting new pads on the car and ran into a problem on the front pads I can't compress the piston and can't get the caliper back on with new pads . so I was hoping someone could help me with this I feel like a moron I've changed brake pads on all my other vehicles multiple times and never ran into this problem. thanks for your time if you happen to respond:-\

Dont fret, this has happened to almost all of us when we did our first brake job. The front calipers need to turned in, clockwise. You can get a cheap tool at a parts store, its a square job that fits on a couple of different make cars. Or you can spend around $50 and get a real fancy tool to do it.

Many/most calipers that incorporate a parking brake require the piston to be screwed in, as Turbone described.

Another thing to remember is once it is screwed in far enough, to align the v-groove of the piston so that the inner pad's pin fits into it. If you don't horrible and embarrassing things will happen.