Ultimate Subaru Message Board

this is what happens when you drive on a bad alxe...

my inner boot was torn when i got the car. it wa sok, no noise or vibartion. i wnt baja'n got stuck in mud. the outer boot just riped, or it was already ripped, but it got mud in it.

then it would pull and click and pop.

it held up for about a week, pulling every now and then, but cutting a 4wd donut in the direction of the bad axle broke the outer end. so driving around in 4wd on the rear axle for a few days.

in 4wd, the axle would rotate at the same speed as the wheel, although it is not physically atatchet to the wheel. but if the rear wheel broke traction, you would hear it clunking around.

after about a week the outer end popped out and wedged in above the caliper. it tore up the rubber brake line, marred the caliper, and bent the caliper slide pin.

i popped the ring out the inner end and removed the shaft. then fixed the brake line, and set off for 100 miles to ohio, driving on the rear axle

if i would have cleand out the mus and new grease and boot after the baja'n, it would still be good for a good while. if left alone, but no baja'n, i would still have 4wd! and ironically my luck i break an axle the day before it ALMOST SNOWED

that is what happens when you rive on a bad axle.

but the inner end will hold up WAY longer than the outer. it still had gease. on the way out westin my 83 wagon, my axle let go in wisconsin on the outer end. but i bet the inner end would have made it the whole way!

fix them axles, boys

Had an AMC Eagle 4WD. Outer boot was gone on the DS front. Was driving home from work, turned a corner, and the wheels wouldn't straighten back up. WTF?!?!?!? Luckly, I wasn't going to fast, and was able to not go to far into the woods. Got to looking around as to the cause of the problem. Found a nice sized stone had wedged itself in the outer-joint. Real fun digging that out of there with no tools handy. New axle went in the next day.

its one thing i got here, but its another thing to make it back home!

it makes a new vibration, and the steering feels like the power steering doesnt work off-center.

the vibration might be from the inner cup still atatched to the trans, i will thake that off and see if it helps.

the axle might have bent the ite tod in a way that it "catches" on the knuckle

Originally posted by MilesFox" and ironically my luck i break an axle the day before it ALMOST SNOWED"

don't whine about ALMOST snowed. here in casper we've got a foot and a half and are expecting another foot next week. bbbrrrrrrrrrr them soobies are c-c-c-cold in the snow.

good luck with your axle work.

My hatch has had a bad boot since I got the car months and months ago. I just keep adding grease.

I've driven it to Portland 2 times, (300 mile rt) RallyX'd it, taken it thru Evans Creek, been to Retiers Pit 2 times, once to muddy Black Diamond, and drive it as a daily driver.

I've had to replace the one on the other side 3 times cuz they keep going out.

The old one now has a Duct tape boot on it. The make shift boot has lasted for weeks, the grease stays in the cup just fine.

I'm not changing it till it makes lots of noise.

My Loyale had newly-greased and booted original axles on it when I bought it. The right side DOJ clicks when turning under load, but not when coasting.

I've put a good 15K miles on it since I bought it, of which 3500 was dragging a loaded utility trailer (1800 lbs gross, plus a couple hundred lbs in the car) from Oregon to Virginia. No problemo. Clutch didn't complain either, even over the Rockies.

I'm trying to wear out my MR2, which needs a clutch badly. After I put that in, tho, it should go to 300K miles. Only 209K on it now. I just drive the Soobs once a week or so to keep the fluids circulating, but am basically using them as snow cars and a backup for the Mister Two.

Originally posted by Dr. RX

So I'm wondering, why didn't you just pull the axle went it first happened??? Just a pin holding it on, easy enough to get at.

because i still needed the front wheel to have something to mount to.

it all fell apart within a few days of it busting the outer end. i pulled the circlip to remove the shaft.

i didnt have a punch, and i had to go 100 miles to jim's the same day

i have yet to make it back home! i'll remove the doj before i leave.

don't whine about ALMOST snowed. here in casper we've got a foot and a half and are expecting another foot next week. bbbrrrrrrrrrr them soobies are c-c-c-cold in the snow.

good luck with your axle work. [/b]

i'm not complaining because i there would be snow. i am complaining because there WASN'T!

and there i would be another year without 4wd to have FUN with!

the inner joint will go a long way. when i took my axle shaft ouy. the first ring of the boot that was still there kept the grease from flying out, there was stil a considerabel amount of grease left.

the axle never had any trouble till the outer end tore a boot/got mud in there