Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Largest tires without lift

Sarge

Those are also the same variables that negate any answers towards the original question!

exactly, that's why this thread is filled with speculation, and individual experience. even when handled on an individual basis....

that said, I think 26-27s would be a safe bet, and doable with minimal work. 28s-29s would be possible, but with more damage, and still not garaunteed.

also, keep in mind that tire sizes vary from tire to tire. a goodyear 205/70/r15 will probably be a bit different than a bfg one in the same size...and the swampers are probably bigger with the big lugs than the claimed size.

Yeah Numbchux, I know that actual tire size depends on the manufacturer. All of the Interco tires are actually 2 inches shorter than their labeled size. We figured that out when we were fitting 33's and 35's on my buddy's Taco. I'm glad you mentioned that though cuz I forgot about that. that should help with the fit-up. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

You guys are giving me too many ideas. I took a stock '91 Loyale wagon into the woods on a 4X4 road with the small 13" wheels. Since this is our main source of transportation I turned around about the time we to the point where the body and oil pan were in danger. As I exited the road and got to a main intersection of 4 dirt roads, I saw a couple of guys standing next to their "lifted" 4X trucks reading the sign about the different roads. One turns and stares as we get closer. By the time we pass him he's facing us squarely with his hands on his hips, eyes wide with amazement. That was priceless as I had a car full of people and my arm hanging out the window just taking it easy.

Two years later I went all the way down that road in a Jeep. It was a much rougher road past where we turned around and it had some steep downhill sections. Now I know why the guy had his hands on his hips and a look of disbelief!

• 4 months later...

well i know this post was a long time ago but no one here really answears this question for my aplication. Its got adjustable suspension on an 86 gl10 wagon. Ive got 27x8.50r14 Cooper LT 6ply. Actual od is 26.5. Ive read a few posts about raising the roo with the adjustable sus. Every one says that it takes your camber way outa spec. I have a friend who works at les schwab and we threw it on the alignment rack and cranked it all the way up. When you align a car you have tolerances. Maxed out is still in tolerance on my car. Dont know about others. I have no lift and all and I didnt have to trim in the rear. For the fronts I had to cut the fender at the stock flare line. About 3 inch. Pounded in a little on the firewall side( there are a few ribs and things i didnt want the tire to hit). NOTHING MAJOR. Oh btw I had a friend who is a cnc programer and he did all my hubs to 6 lug. At first I had 15x8 0offset but I coulndt get a tire for on/ offroad in an od under 27.6/26.7 with a tread i liked. So I moved to a 14x7 -6 offset. Works great with no rub on the street. Im going to go out this weekend. so we will see what ive gota cut next. Pix are available. Jess

• 7 months later...

If I may, I would also like to include the 27x10.R-14 HD Kenda Bounty Hunters. The actual hight of these tires mounted is 26.5" and 8.5" wide.

http://www.kendausa.com/atv/radial.html

http://www.atvpt.com/kendabountyhunter26x14.htm

I do believe that these tires should work with 14" pugs with little modification, I would expect some of the typical massaging the wheel wells would be in order, and perhaps a little trim up front, but they should fit with out a lift quite easy. OFF ROAD ONLY. I just want to make sure that no one gets the idea I am saying you can put these tires on for the freeway. I believe the rep recomended speeds under 40mph