I put a remanufactured carb from Advance Auto Parts in my Brat and have been trying to get it to work right for about a month now. This is what happens:
- It starts up fine and runs up to about 2k rpms, so the choke is working, I know.
- After about 5 minutes of routine driving, as the car warms up (and I believe the choke returns to normal), the engine dies as soon as I stop at a light and let off on the gas. If I am slowing down, I just use the clutch to restart it and continue going.
- After about 15 minutes of driving, when the car is fully warm, it stays running, and runs well. Does not die after this point at all.
- However, even after it is warm (item # 3 above), I feel a slight flat spot once I start off from stop. No flat spot once it is running. I only feel it when moving away from a stop.
- One additional item I have noted is that upon cold start-up, during slow take-off, the engine does not appear very smooth - like a fuel starvation issue, so this is another twist to the problem.
- Vacuum connections appear to be fine - checked visually only.
- The fuel filter and vapor separator are brand new. The remanufactured carb is a DCP306-26 (Champion, I believe).