Ultimate Subaru Message Board

PNWSEC - what is to become of this club???

http://www.drivingsports.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3550

There are no goals...

There is no 'drive'...

club basically has no function now

other than a once per year bash.

anyone have ideas on what to do

and how to bring it back to ...

"just a bunch of subaru clowns hanging out"

there are so many diversified subaru cliques....

need direction, or i feel the club should fold.

your input????

Jamie

I like the once a year show. This year's was a fun shindig, would like a repeat. But pizza meets and carting aren't so important to me.

There are more diverse groups than there were when we had troubles before.

Now there are the WRXclubs who separate themselves from the GCers who don't have a lot in common with the outback and forester types who don't have anything in common with the older 70-80s gen. (Who are separated by ea81 and 82 types, split into on and offroaders)

Would be cool to get more of the new types to do more camping and offroading like the Hatch Patrol does. Outdoorsy stuff. Even if they only wanna leave their cars at the parking lot, there's always empty seats for passengers. To do is to become a believer. I think that if you can afford 25k for a car that you're gonna spend 1-5k modding, you'd be able to find 1500 bucks to completely build an older one.

It was a really happy occasion to see a Forester join us at the last campout at Evans Creek. We were ecstatic.

A good way to get folks to get to know eachother or become more diversafied would be to refer pnwsec to the usmb rather than an impreza-only board. Maybe drop the "P" and make the club more general.

This year's RallyX season has attracted a lot of us USMBers, we probably number 30 in cars that show. You know as well as anybody how Subaru dominated the Rally events are, by numbers, not necessarily ranking.

If we only meet to park the cars once a year, that's cool. You seem to have a great handle on how to throw a good party and get a whole bunch of folks to show up.

$.02, also lke Roy's ideas.

I thought about this couple of times since the show. I was surprized that Nick never sent me the e-mail he said he would about the dues, is he still in charge of that?? I think the one thing that has killed the club is the fact that everyone wants something to happen, but very few, and always the same few, are willing to make it happen. I think our weather is against us a few of the months that could have something going on. Eric is right about the RallyX scene here in the Northwest (read that as Oregon) becoming a meeting event for the NW USMB people. Heck, this year the winningest and faster car was a Subaru Justy, the SUV class is mostly made up of Subarus (mostly USMB members, 3 from one family). A Show'n Shine is great, but if it is the only event??? It is too bad that we could set up a RallyX and AutoX at the same place on the weekend. That way the asphalt guys can have their fun and the dirt guys their's, heck, they may even try the other event and get hooked there too. A few of us post on the NASIOC board, but not that many, and some of us (like me) not that often. I would love to see a club participation in the performance rallys that we have around here as volunteers. Corner marshalls get a great view of the cars, and sometimes they are in places where no one else is allowed. I don't know what it take it ignite a fire under such a diverse group of Subaru owners that will cause them to come together as a club.

There's too much diversification from what I can see to easily have one club for everyone. First you have two major groups - the gearheads, and the show-n-shine people. Now - the gearheads are split into two more groups - the dirt people, and the track people. And each of those groups is split into new gen and old gen. The show-n-shine group is mostly new gen, and they don't like to get dirty, so most of them are track types as well - if they even participate in that. Now these are of course broad generalizations, and not everyone fits into a clear cut category - and there's some people that have multiple cars, and are in several categories. Also - these are just MY personal observations, so may be wrong to some small degree, and indeed may be wrong to some *large* degree, but I can't help observing, and this is what I see. A lot of the show-n-shine people could care less about the race events, and the older gen stuff, so it's no good cramming it down their throats. They need their own show events, and it's no good dragging the old gen people along when there's no event and barely any awards for them as well. Now this works in the opposite direction too - the old gen and the dirt guys want rally events and to play with their cars, but the show people aren't interested in bringing their cars around a bunch of mud and dirt if there's no show event for them too. Like the RallyX - if I had a show car, I don't think I would have even driven it into the parking area it was sooo snotty.

I think what I'm trying to get at is that we are so diversified that if you want to do one big yearly event, it's going to have to incorprate all of us. I don't think you can take just one "direction" and expect to have enough people turn out to make it a reality. And as for people being involved and helping out with the event, you would obviously draw from a larger crowd of people if you were to cater to more than just one group.

It has been my feeling that the PNWSEC has catered mostly to the new gen group in the past. At WCSS5 everyone seemed very "suprised" at how many of us old gen guys showed up, and there were very few awards for the old gen class compared to the new gen classes. This was just the feeling I personally got from the show. I did have fun tho - met a lot of cool people, and will definately be at the next one. Hopefully there will be more old-gen-centric planning going into it than last time.

GD

i'm not soliciting what needs to be done

to make the next wcss better...

i'm basically saying i'm done.

i've got other things to do....

and i just dont feel rewarded by pnwsec anymore.

it's got no direction, no real benefits...

no solidity.

really? i'm not sure we'll do anything with it.

annual meet is great and all that...

back to your points

regarding the old schoolers...

1 year they show up... the next they dont....

how are we to know what to expect from "them"?

100$$$'s were spent on trophies that were

simply trashed as nobody showed....

then there are complaints as there arent enough

awards when they DO show up....

personally the club has never intended

to CATER to anyone or the other...

this...

is why i'm frustrated to the end...

and not sure what, if anything should be done.

you guys want the club back for your own?

more than happy to sign it over to the old schoolers.

that's where it came from anyway

Yea, I guess Nick is too busy, but at least he could have replied to my e-mails. Last time I checked, I was one of those who volunteered (Dr. RX, aka Corky) and helped pull off last years show. I also know the unbelieveable amount of time that you personally put into the effort of running the club, and I thank you for that. But it might be time for you to move on. If the PNWSEC fades into the sunset, so be it. It is just too hard to try to please all the diverse interests in Subarus in the NW today. You can never please them all, someone will always feel left out. The idea of a Pacific North West club may have been the right thing 6 years ago, but a lot has changed since then. For the Impreza crowd, there is the NW Imprezas Club chapter of the NASIOC, which also includes members with Legacys and other newer models. May be PNWSEC should go to the pre 90 Subaru owners who are not off road enthusists, but if no one steps forward, let it die.