Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hiya All,

This will seem a daft question probably, but I could do with some contacts, just in case things go haywire!

I have just imported" blind", a TS-R 1995 Legacy. My buyer found it in Japan and recommended it highly. I agreed, and the car is now in Scotland , ready to be tested and registered etc.

I have looked around the net for some info on this particular model, but found very little, mostly just adverts for sale etc.

Does anyone know what the TS-R badge means? Does it differ from other Legacy models by much. Are there any secret points to check up on? its only done 38000 km, so I am hoping it will last as well as my 1.8DL (still going strong at 180,000 miles till it got wrecked in a bad smash) . The Legacy is like a new car, inside and out and I want to spare no expense keeping it like that, so any tips will be welcome. Cheers !!!

Hi and welcome to the board. There was a long thread a few months back (check the archives or do a search) on remanufactured motors from Japan and some of the potential problems. I know your car doesn't fall into that category, but some of the same concerns are there. Chack it out. Not familiar with your particular model but I can't imagine that with the exceptions of a few bells and whistles it is much different from any other legacy. Change the oil every 3,000 miles (is that about 4,200 Kilos?) and change the timing belt every 60,000 miles (again, approx 72,000 K?) and it should run forever. My wife has 160,000 on hers (a 96) and it still runs fantastic. Good luck and check the board often for advice. Legacy 777 is a good newer generation expert.

I have to agree with northguy on most things excpet the the oil. I would use at least semi-synthetic if not synthetic for ALL fluids (motor, gearbox, front and rear diff). I would do an oil change interval of 7,500 to 10,000 km. I know that many say 4000 km but thats with regular dino oil from the past. There have been various oil studies which have found that modern synthetics hold out for much longer than 10 k km (over 15k miles) so you should be fine with 10k km intervals unless you do some serious racing and 1km trips all the time.

BTT welcome to the board :)