Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cold start

ive only seen one carbed ea82, in a junkyard, so i may be talking out of my a$$.. but usually a carbureted vehicle has a choke lever (at least older ones) that you can use to choke the carb manually. choking is essentially blocking off airflow into your carburetor, (almost completely) and its something you have to do sometimes on a cold start to get things started properly.. its sorta like a lawnmower engine. nowadays theyve engineered them to just walk up to, squeeze the bulb three times and boom, you're off.. but you used to have to choke them to start them cold, then let the choke off once its running OK.

now, whether or not your car has a choke lever is beyond me..... but GD is saying you need to choke the carb off as youre trying to start it cold, and then itll get enough fuel to kick it over and run properly. its just a cold weather starting procedure with carbureted vehicles, its one of the reasons new vehicles have all switched over to fuel injection. FI is much less sensitive to changes in atmospheric temperature, pressure, and composition (humidity/moisture among other things) than carburetors.

carb. choke and how would i fix it? is that the part with the coil spring in it?

Yes, it's either broken, improperly adjusted, etc. You need to get inside and look at it's operation. Sould close with a light *snap* when it's cold, as you pump the gas (or manually operate the throttle) one time. Pumping the gas is absolutely neccesary on carbed engines. It both serves to "set" the choke, and to enrich the mixture with a few squirts from the accelerator pump. Fuel injection automatically enriches the mixture using the computer. Anywhere from 2 - 5 pumps depending on how cold it is.

There's no manual lever - it's an automatic (electric) choke.

GD