Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Colorado Xmas Tree Run

The cool kids out West have been doing it for years. I think its our turn. Similar to Washington, in Colorado you can get a permit to cut a tree from the forest service. You don't have to need a tree or want a tree to come of course either, just a fun snowy day to run up a mountain with the rest of the locals. I believe I heard one year a Washington guy forgot to retrieve a tree he was having so much fun playing with the Subaru but that could be a rumor.

Any resident tree experts? Id like to know how early you can cut one before xmas and still have it be green and nice looking on the day.

That and a volunteers that can hammer out the details on how to get permits, what they cost and where we are allowed to harvest them from?

Starting EXTREMELY early as we need to actually put up a REAL turnout in Colorado and they do limit the # of permits each year.

Sounds like a good plan, when I was a kid we used to do it every winter...now my wife hates to clean up after them so we too have a fake one. I'm game depending on where I might need to leave an hour or two before everyone since my top speed in the lifted rig is 58mph :grin: ! Lucky to do 45-50 climbing the mountain highways...I need an EJ22 in that thing (and Eric's drivetrain :slobber:)

Sounds like a good plan, when I was a kid we used to do it every winter...now my wife hates to clean up after them so we too have a fake one. I'm game depending on where I might need to leave an hour or two before everyone since my top speed in the lifted rig is 58mph :grin: ! Lucky to do 45-50 climbing the mountain highways...I need an EJ22 in that thing (and Eric's drivetrain :slobber:)

I'll take just his tranny and rear end;):clap:

We never cut the tree till the afternoon before Christmas, and took it down on New years day. So, it'll last a week at least.... I think it'll last about 3 weeks if you keep water in there. Actually, I'll just get one right next to my house since I'm in the mountains, but I'd be up for driving through the snow for fun. Should probably remember to take shovels and a few tow chains so we can unstuck rigs from drifts, because snow here in CO tends to drift, and you'll get stuck in a drift even though the rest of the road isn't deep, unlike those roads in Washington that have more uniform snow depth. On the positive side, we don't have the concrete-like wet snow they do there.

Why so slow? My wagon is Fast:burnout: After you did the SPFI swap did you advance the hell out of your timing?

I'm game as well... I also dont need a tree, but cannot pass up a chance to play in the snow:drunk:

Fake trees take away from x-mas!!!! how do you guys get the SMELL of the holidays into your house, spray PINEsol on your fake tree so it smells like the great outdoors?:banana: im just playin, i just felt like giving someone a hard time, and there's no one at my house right now, so i was forced to take it out on ya'll! :o