Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'02 Forester: soft suspension

So, maybe it's just because I'm used to a car with a very balanced, firm, coilover setup - but my Forester feels really soft. With a load in it, the rear end sinks like 2 inches.

Has anyone found a way to firm it up a little? Maybe a set of springs that have a slightly (30%-40%) higher rate?

You Might need to consider new struts; I replaced all four of mine('99 S model) last year with KYB brand, and it did stiffen the suspension a bit, however there is still a little more body roll then I prefer.I am told shorter springs (STI) can be installed which supposedly will reduce this tendency.

John

check up on this website once and a while and on ebay under JDM forester STI. You are looking for JDM forester STi Strut and Spring takeoffs. I have a friend who put them in his 03 TS wagon and he got the part of the lift of a forester and the ride of an STi. You might lose a little ride height. Good thing is that you can get them for like $350 or something like that.

parts:jdmpartstx.com/

picture:

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/images/subaru-forester-sti-2.JPG

-max

OK, I've seen lots of votes for the GR-2's (here and elsewhere). But what have people done to address the fact that the springs are a little on the soft side? Anything?

Since replacing the struts, I don't think my springs are at all soft( I wish they were); Recently I put quite a bit weight in the back, car leveled right out and rode even better.

John

The stock springs are about right for a car that is as high as a Forester. When you stiffen the shocks and swaybars it makes a lot of difference. I'm dusting cars on corners with mine that are rpobalby getting a bit of a surprise.

Frankly when I got it with worn struts and stiock swaybars it was dismal. I added the KYBs and it helped but the WRX rear sway bar made alll the difference. I tested in a parking lot with cones until I had what I wanted.

Since replacing the struts, I don't think my springs are at all soft( I wish they were); Recently I put quite a bit weight in the back, car leveled right out and rode even better.

John

The stock springs are about right for a car that is as high as a Forester. When you stiffen the shocks and swaybars it makes a lot of difference. I'm dusting cars on corners with mine that are rpobalby getting a bit of a surprise.

Frankly when I got it with worn struts and stiock swaybars it was dismal. I added the KYBs and it helped but the WRX rear sway bar made alll the difference. I tested in a parking lot with cones until I had what I wanted.

What I'm trying to do, I guess, is give the car the ability to handle a load without losing as much ride height. I have lots of experience with suspension in different cars, and I know that simply changing the struts and sway bar will not help the fact that with my family and gear in the car, the rear end sags. The springs are what supports the weight of the car.

That being said, I'll look into the King Springs, but I don't really want a lift either. Maybe the STi setup? Does anyone know how much the car will be lowered with the STi stuff?

PS: jon38iowa - "I don't think my springs are at all soft" - that's the effect of the shocks controling the oscillations of the suspension differently than the stock setup. If you were to take measurements with stock struts and the new ones, both with the same load added to the car, you would find that the change in ride height is the same with either setup. Firmer shocks= firmer rider, stiffer springs= different reaction to suspension loads (which in turn can mean firmer ride).