Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Best place to run wires through firewall?

Quick Question for 1999 Imp o/b Sport.

Hooking up HELLA lights and novelty horn. Need a place to run the wires, but having trouble finding a place through the firewall....anyone have any idea if there is already a hole in the fire wall to the cabin that would be good for running the wires through that is easy to get to? Didnt have much time to look this morning, but any help will do!!

Jon

try looking just above the brake pedal. Never seen a obs, so i am just guessing here. There might be a hole there that is grommeted from the engine side, just use a wire hanger with the wires taped to it, and stick it through.

Thanks, I'll try anything once..

Yah if you look around in that area you might find something like an unused knock out. I've seen that hole mentioned in the service manual for running something through there for checking but I don't remember what.

On my '96 legacy I didn't have any extra knock outs but I was easily and clearly able to drill some holes in that area (just single ply sheet metal). However on '00OBW there was a knock out and drilling would be more difficult as it seemed to have a double thickness firewall with insulation in between.

I've done the same as nipper a couple of times. I've used either a spot where a cable or a wire bundle went thru. If you just 'poke' a hole in the grommet, it is basically self sealing. The rubber is tight around the wire. One might argue that this could weaken the grommet and cause a tear, but I've never had it happen.

Commuter