Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Baja Owners, Are you happy?

We are happy with our Baja. It is serving us well as a touring car and a pop-up trailer puller. It has adequate power in Tennesse and other relatively low elevation hilly country. Cruises right up some pretty steep hills in 5th gear, with or without the trailer weight.

The most fun is public reaction. It so far has been positive and enthusiastic. The craziest thing is that people will look right at the back end of the thing and ask, "Who makes this?"!!

We get 27-30mpg summer and 25-27mpg winter with a 5spd MT. We had a Forester with 4AT which was good but the 5MT is better.

Yes, we have carried all sorts of stuff in that little "truck" bed and even have used the bed extender once! I use the switch door when I carry long lumber or my RC plane. Get a local auto custom upholstery shop to make you a tonneau cover for less than half of what Subaru wants and enjoy yourself!

I really like the Baja, though I don't own one. It is essentially an Outback without a rear trunklid, kind of like a Ford Explorer vs. an Explorer Sport-Trac. Little mechanical difference, just nothing over the trunk! I really think Subaru hit home with the Baja, though some car magazines don't really like it. If Subaru took their Dual Range tranny out of overseas Legacy's and plopped it in the Baja, you would have a MAJOR success I think. AWD is great, but 4wd you can go offroading :D

ScoobySchmitty:banana:

Thanks for the feedback. Went online today, got 3 quotes, only had to haggle a litte and got a great price on a new Baja. Thanks for the advice on the tonneau. I pick the car/truck up on Friday! I'll post a pic of my old Brat and new (Brat) Baja when it's delivered.

VABrat

That is great! Didn't take you long to make up your mind! Tel me and the rest of us if it does not violate any rules, how much did you settle on with the dealer? I did the on line quotes for the '03 and still went for the local dealer even he did not have the best quote, just because he was local. NEXT TIME we go somewhere else. That is the best quote even if we have to drive 200 miles.

Crostbolt and others,

Most of the online quotes were about the same--for a Baja Sport (no leather) and the only other option was the bed extender--

19-6 plus tax and tags. Includes a 1,000 rebate. Dealership will try to add on with a document fee, or processing fee, but when I called them on it--told them it was a dealbreaker--they took it off. I did go with Subaru financing so that made them happy--I'm sure they get a kickback on that.

VABrat

Just noticed as I saw one today - from the rear, they really kind of remind me of a Gen 1 Brat.

How come every one I see is yellow? Think I've seen one black one and one silver one - but see TONS of yellow ones. Even at the dealership.....

As was previously stated - too bad there's no 4WD D/R availible. I think if it had that, and optional roll-bars, and factory suspension lifts, I would buy one just to beat up on the trail.

GD

4wd D/r (Dual Range)

gives you a shifter for 2wd, 4wd, and 4wd low range..

4wd low range just reduces the gear ratio so it has more power for serious off roading.. its the same as in most ever other 4wd vehicle made today..

Subaru quit using the D/R transmissions in i think it was 1988.. thats when they went with the pushbutton single range 4wd which did not have the gear reductions.. then when the legacy series came out they went to AWD.. and thats where they stand today..

correct me if i'm wrong GD:drunk:

I own a european spec Legacy Wageon, third generation.

My car has the dual range. Low gears by pulling a lever. Very good if you need more power to "take off".

It's still AWD - the difference to standard manual gearing is that the dual range provides a "2nd set" of gears with other ratios (not quite 2x5 gears but it act like it would have)

By the way, Imprezas Wagons and Legacy Wagons (I think the Forester also but I am not 100% sure) with manual gearing always have the dual range, also the New Legacy (already pulled this special lever for low gear in the new Legacy).

Congratulations VABrat for the new Subaru!

Hopy you will like your new toy.

Today I took a close look at a silver Baja at the dealers lot. Really like it.

The dealers here in Germany import the Baja from the US! There was a review in a german car magazine and surprisingly they liked it. :brow: