Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello everybody,

i own a 1999 Subaru Outback wagon with 97,000 miles, faithfully changed the oil every 3000-3500 miles, brakes are new, battery is new, everything else is pretty much original...

i read Murphsubaru's post about whether to replace the timing belt at the recommended 105,000 mile mark. I brought my car to a new mechanic who was recommended by a friend, this mechanic is a bit more expensive than where I normally go, but they're been operating for 20 years, yadda yadda yadda.

After working on my car they reminded me about the cam seals leaking oil, which I've known about for a while, but didn't worry about as I check the oil regularly and it's never low, and have owned another Subaru at 130,000 miles and learned that minor oil leaks are kind of par for the course.

this new mechanic added that the cam seals are dripping oil onto the timing belt and it is causing it to degrade faster than normal and advised me to replace it. He gave my timing belt about 3000-3500 more miles at normal driving (no jackrabbit starts) before it broke. he qouted me $1100 for replacement of the timing belt and replacement of the cam seals.

My question is...is this a fair qoute, has anyone else had this done? Is there another place in Denver area that people recommend. This is alot to spend on a car that has needed little expensive care until now. i know that if I wait too long the damage if it breaks is catastrophic, and I would like to fix it before the ski season starts. In my last car ( a 1992 loyale with 130,000 miles) I broke the timing belt in the mountains with no cell phone reception and learned my lesson (that cost me about $650 for the timing belt replacement alone).

Help

Make sure the water pump is included in that price. That seems a bit high for Denver, but I don't know how much things cost out there. Thats about what I paid for that job in the DC area. Lots of people on this board talk about getting it done for a lot less but it depends a lot on the cost of living in the area. I've seen people talk about everything from $500 - $1100 for that job.

Crikies! That's more than our stealership charges. I think your 'new' mechanic has a BIG boat. I also think he's engaging in scare tactics to get work (well, why not, it works for Bush, eh?). :eek:

I think I'd shop around, unless he's replacing absolutely EVERYTHING under the front cover, new water pump, seals, tensioners, the lot. Which is how it SHOULD be done. Then the price sounds OK.

Hello everybody,

i own a 1999 Subaru Outback wagon with 97,000 miles, faithfully changed the oil every 3000-3500 miles, brakes are new, battery is new, everything else is pretty much original...

i read Murphsubaru's post about whether to replace the timing belt at the recommended 105,000 mile mark. I brought my car to a new mechanic who was recommended by a friend, this mechanic is a bit more expensive than where I normally go, but they're been operating for 20 years, yadda yadda yadda.

After working on my car they reminded me about the cam seals leaking oil, which I've known about for a while, but didn't worry about as I check the oil regularly and it's never low, and have owned another Subaru at 130,000 miles and learned that minor oil leaks are kind of par for the course.

this new mechanic added that the cam seals are dripping oil onto the timing belt and it is causing it to degrade faster than normal and advised me to replace it. He gave my timing belt about 3000-3500 more miles at normal driving (no jackrabbit starts) before it broke. he qouted me $1100 for replacement of the timing belt and replacement of the cam seals.

My question is...is this a fair qoute, has anyone else had this done? Is there another place in Denver area that people recommend. This is alot to spend on a car that has needed little expensive care until now. i know that if I wait too long the damage if it breaks is catastrophic, and I would like to fix it before the ski season starts. In my last car ( a 1992 loyale with 130,000 miles) I broke the timing belt in the mountains with no cell phone reception and learned my lesson (that cost me about $650 for the timing belt replacement alone).

Help

What shop in denver is this? Is this a subaru only shop? If not there are many very good subaru only shops in Denver metro.

For $900 most good shops in denver metro will do both cam seals, crank seals, re-seal oil pump, water pump, and timing belt.

What shop in denver is this? Is this a subaru only shop? If not there are many very good subaru only shops in Denver metro.

For $900 most good shops in denver metro will do both cam seals, crank seals, re-seal oil pump, water pump, and timing belt.

The shop is Addison's at Holly and Evans in South East Denver. The qoute if for timing belt and cam seals only.

Okay, so I know when I'm shopping around for a qoute, I should have the Timing Belt, Water Pump, Cam seals, and tensioners replaced all at the same time?

Could some one comment maybe on a list of items that would be best to replace at the same time the timing belt is being replaced?

Your list is already fairly complete, timing belt, water pump, cam seals, also replace front crank seal, possibly the geared idler, and at least check the other idlers for free play, grinding, etc. A new tensioner is required only really if the existing one is leaking or if you want to play it safe, I would just use a new one. That price sounds terribly high to me but I don't live in Denver. I would insist on all OE parts.

Okay, so I know when I'm shopping around for a qoute, I should have the Timing Belt, Water Pump, Cam seals, and tensioners replaced all at the same time?

Could some one comment maybe on a list of items that would be best to replace at the same time the timing belt is being replaced?

1)Timing Belt

2)Check Idler Pullies (3) and t-belt tensioner for leaking grease and

abnormal play -- at this mileage, usually only the toothed idler ever

presents a problem.

3)Cam Seals and Front Crank Seal

4)Oil Pump o-ring (reseal w/ Permatex Ultra-Gray RTV or anaerobic selant)

Reseal oil pump and make sure that screws haven't backed out

-- mine were fine so I left them alone.

5)Alternator Belt

6)A/C Belt

7)Water pump

8)Thermostat

9) The lower timing belt cover gasket -- sometimes gets swelled when it

comes in contact with oil and should be replaced.