Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Should be on the passenger side of the intake manifold. Very close to the throttle body. Should see a nice fat hose going onto a piece with threads sticking out of the intake manifold. They are kind of hard to spot for the first time, look for the fat hose.

Nice picture...Follow that same hose down to the rear motor block. Starting in 2002, on the USDM 2.5L, the PCV was placed on the other end of that hose, now screwing down into the block, just above the oil separator plate.

Also note it is a different p/n since it now controls crankcase ventilation from the threaded to the hose side.

Older Subaru's, even my older EA16, EA18 and EJ22's, were in the intake manifold and flow was from the hose side to the threaded side.

As far as I have found, the newer ones are dealer only. If you use an older one on the newer motors, the check valve will close and there will be no ventilation and lots of blow-by. Also If I remember, they both have different thread sizes to prevent using the wrong one.

I don't mean to jack your thread but I have to ask. Does my 2004 WRX have a replaceable PCV valve. I went to my local dealership parts counter and they said that my model year does not have one. I have not researched it further so I haven't found anyone saying anything different. I am just not quite sure they were looking things up correctly.

Thank you.

Hi, not 100% sure about an '03, but here's where it is on my '96 and '00; it's a screw/thread in type, not just a 'pop in' like a lot of domestics.

IAC96c.JPG

is there suppost to be a butterfly clip around the pcv? mine doesnt, it just goes on loose, lol, umm, is that bad?

is there suppost to be a butterfly clip around the pcv?
Probably yes, but it probably isn't really needed; I mean it's not a ton of pressure there or anything and the hoses themselves are somewhat rigid. If you look at the 'pop in' types (rather than screw in) they just slip into this rubber/plastic holder and do alright that way.

I don't mean to jack your thread but I have to ask. Does my 2004 WRX have a replaceable PCV valve. I went to my local dealership parts counter and they said that my model year does not have one. I have not researched it further so I haven't found anyone saying anything different. I am just not quite sure they were looking things up correctly.

Thank you.

No PCV in the WRX...it has a solenoid to control the crankcase vent flow depending on vacuum or boost in the intake manifold. Many people put oil 'catch cans' on the turbos to catch any oil before it gets into the inter cooler and coat the inside effectively making it less efficient.

Well I changed the valve today and it is onthe lower/engine side of the hose. It's really easy to get to. My valve was badly gummed up and didn't rattle

The dealer asked for the VIN number to be sure it was the right valve. They said they hardly go bad. But mine, after 85,000, needed changing or cleaning. I decided to replace. The replacement was about $21. We'll see how the car runs now.