Ultimate Subaru Message Board

LIFTED! & EJ22 Swap on 1st Gen IMPCoupe

dome24

Well after someone decided to make a left in front of me, Im left with a car with blown air bags, a mashed front end,2-7Accident001.jpg

2-7Accident004.jpg

a bent "frame" closerlook010.jpgand a $2700 check from the insurance Co.

I don't know how much it would cost to fix the frame, or even get it close, or even if its worth it to try. Ive priced the hood and fender for ~$600 pre paint/install, but i don't really want to order them if the frame is beyond repair.

Any body people want to help out? how bad does it look really? To me it looks bad but i don't know. Should i scrap it get an OBS and swap the lift

AARRRRGGG im so torn.

Pete

"rubber side down"

:burnout::burnout:

:burnout::burnout:

Dude, that sucks!

Judging from the pictures, it really doesn't look that bad though. I just repaired a 2003 OBS last fall that was MUCH worse. I used a come-along hooked to a stout tree, a torch, and a welder to fix the frame, and now you can hardly tell that it was ever in a wreck. As long as the frame didn't get tweaked from the strut towers back, it should be fine. You might have to replace some suspension components, but I doubt it.

I could probably bring it in to the UAA shop and check the alignment on saturday. PM me if you're interested.

• 5 weeks later...

Well i got the frame straitend, a little, the bumper rebuilt, a fender should be here monday, got new front glass, just gonna put in a aftermarket steering wheel w/o airbag for the time being and just pull the pass bag, gonna paint the split spokes tomorrow, got new 215/55 r16 Riken Raptors today for a deal they come out to about 25.3 x 8.4 or about an inch shorter but .25 inch wider than my snows:banana::lol:. Ive never heard of Riken but aparently they are like BFG's little brother, a good lookin tire and for well under a c-note installed with roadhazard each they are a deal, see what happens with em.

Anywho, after i hang the fender im gonna try to get a reconstruct title and get it re registered and a new plate ordered next week. I still have to find a RS/OBS hood, but i can use my stocker for now, but then a paint job and i think ill be done LOL:headbang::burnout:

Pete

"rubber side down"

• 6 months later...
Are we taking bets on how long the front halfshalfs last?

I bid 1 month.....Anybody go for 2?

Looks nice though.

i bet on one year. if i can put 20000 miles on a torn boot through 2 seasonsof winter and cross-states driving, then i will bet a strut swap is not anywhere near as damaging

Then why do I go through halfshalfts like candy when my struts are only extended an extra inch?

that car is pretty much the same height as a forester... and as far as i know, the forester shafts are the same as the imp shafts... do you see foresters flying through halfshafts?

I do have a blown front boot, but even before the lift i would blow at least one boot a year, its not the lift that kills them its the flexing in the extreme cold. But im gonna drive it till it starts clicking and then drive it some more, then maybe fix it...

:dead:

Thanks again for the comments, and if your in the anchorage area, im downtown m-f 9-5 couriering stuff around

• 2 weeks later...