Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

auto tranny problems. (updated) look!!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 AKIRA

AKIRA

USMB Reverend

• Members
  • 614 posts
  • Jersey Shore (Central) PA

Posted 15 November 2003 - 10:37 PM

My dads 92 auto loyale has some tranny problems.
It has 230,000 miles on it.

When put in reverse sometimes it's like it jumps in and out of gear rapidly for a couple of seconds while moving, It only does it before it's completly warmed up.

it might have done it in drive once too. (it didn't)

what's screwed up?

(UPDATE)
I took it apart to check the oil passages and I found this out:

none of the oil passages were Clogged, everything was generally clean, I cleaned it anyway.

there is a hole about the size of a fifty cent piece in the filter, no fragments of the missing filter could be found.

I also found half of a black plastic ring in the filter, it's about 2 and 2/3 inches in diameter and the diameter of the hole is about 2 and 1/3.

any idea what the ring goes to?

#2 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Bremerton, WA, USA

Posted 15 November 2003 - 10:54 PM

As always for starters check the fluid level while its idleing in park, the fluid should be red not brown, and it should not have metal shavings in it, if it smells burnt its time for a flush.

thats what usually causes tranny problems, that should be a good place to start

#3 viceversa

viceversa

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 368 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 15 November 2003 - 11:10 PM

Given the mileage, you are doing really good. Our 92 Loyale had tranny fail at 160K miles. Anything after that mileage is a bonus, IMO.

The other advice sounds like a good one.

#4 AKIRA

AKIRA

USMB Reverend

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 11:56 PM

That will be hard, when I origonally checked it was too low to get any fluid on the dipstick so i had to put a whole bottle of fluid in it to finally get it back up to normal, i checked it then and it seemed okay but the new fluid might have diluted down what I should have found.

The new dexron didn't make any difference, it still does it.

The Loyale pulls 4,000-4,500 rpm while it does 65 mph, is this normal?

#5 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 16 November 2003 - 12:19 AM

is it a 3spd or 4 spd auto.. my 3spd auto would be at about 3800rpms at 65.. 41-4200rpm @70mph

#6 AKIRA

AKIRA

USMB Reverend

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 01:41 AM

I think it has a 3 speed because the shifter is only a D,2,1 and I haven't heard it shift past third.

#7 beauregaardhooligan

beauregaardhooligan

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • Greenville, SC

Posted 16 November 2003 - 12:44 PM

Time for a flush/filter change.
There is probably crud blocking off an oil passage or the filter, not good. The pressure loss makes it jump and act like it's out of gear.
Find someone you trust with a pressure flush, just draining it doesn't usually do much.

#8 AKIRA

AKIRA

USMB Reverend

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 05:32 PM

bump, check the top for the update

#9 beauregaardhooligan

beauregaardhooligan

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • Greenville, SC

Posted 29 November 2003 - 06:17 PM

I'm not familiar with Subaru automatics, but some filters have a hole in them surrounded by a ring to seal them.
Have you compared it to a new one?
You say you took it apart, the whole trany, or just the oil pan?

#10 AKIRA

AKIRA

USMB Reverend

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 09:46 PM

I haven't got a new filter yet, but it doesn't look like that for a coupple of reasons:

the ring doesn't fit in the area and it has nothing to seal to, it would be a filter with a hole in it, making it very counter-productive

I only found half of a ring, there would have to be a second ring on the other side of the screen, meaning that a whole very large plastic ring and half of another one dissapeared somehow.

I think maybe it is a spacer or washer for the planetary gears somehow.

I took out the oil pan and removed the metal block containing the oil passages in it, I didn't take the planetarys out or anything like that, maybe the ring came from there.

#11 oddcomp

oddcomp

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,763 posts
  • longview ,wa

Posted 29 November 2003 - 10:52 PM

i would say it is prolly from the planetary's as alot of trannys use plastic bushing and crap in the strangest places where it should be stronger

at least i think it should be stronger

my 211 k turbo wagon with autobox seems to take a few seconds to build up enough pressure to move when its cold once its warm it run just fine well except a sligh delay from 2nd to 3rd but thats kinda random

find someone with a fsm for that tranny and se if you can figure it out based on size where it went
i assum the fsm will have specs for what is good and what is not good on clearances and bushings
if you have half you can figure out what size it originally was

#12 AKIRA

AKIRA

USMB Reverend

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 11:36 PM

Bushings! thats the word I was trying to think of.

by the way, it does "it" whenever it is in reverse now, warmed up or not.

did that page with free tsm's have one on my tranny?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users