Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So how was the Reiter Pit run?

Well..... So how was Reiter???

Hope the lack of a trip report doesn't mean ya'll are still out there fixing Subarus in the dark.

I'm still bitter about not being able to go play in the woods but I had to deal with unpleasant stuff instead. So did anybody get pictures at the Bothell meet-up? It was good to see John, Caleb, Austin, and Todd and his "Northern Alliance" crew (Brin, Mike?...? geez I suck at remembering names.) Anyhow if you guys are on here it was good meetin' ya'.

OK so how was the mud fest?

(BTW, speaking of mud, I did play for a while at the Mill Creek mud hole and it was as slimy as I expected. Almost stuck it a few times but had fun for 15 minutes or so.)

I sure had some fun- did some puddle hopping and the hobbit trail where the soob eating hole was fed...G.D. was succesfully pulled back out of it, but his clutch failed... Q's brat now wears another mark from towing GD's wagon in the tight trees.. The pair of them were awaiting AAA when me and Eric left @4-5.

I had some ignition issues...

Austins XT looks best w/ a wash of mud!

And yes it was real good to meet more folks though I don't think I caught all the names by any means. We'll have to do it again real soon, and I hope you can make it next time.

In all honesty, I think I would have made it through that hole, if the clutch hadn't COMPLETELY died right in the middle of it. I'm still stuck here at Qman's - we'll put in a clutch so I can get home tommarow.

Our best guess at this time is that the clutch spring dampeners (rubber apparently), failed on contact with the cold water, and left me with no spring pressure to engage the clutch. I didn't burn the clutch up, but I'm sure it was hot going into the puddle. The clutch was a 2WD clutch, and that was probably it's downfall. Ah well, I needed to put in a 4WD clutch anyway. Too bad I had to inconvenience Qman, and so many others to help pull me out and swap in a clutch.

The clutch is so dead, that it won't move under it's own power AT ALL. Had to be towed the 75 odd miles to Qman's place.

Oh - Qman wishes it to be known that HE wasn't waiting for a tow truck - I was. His Brat left under it's own power - the tow truck followed. Indeed - he pulled me into town so the truck could meet us.

GD

it was very fun!, I am bummed that I didnt have a lifted car this time, but the XT did well for what it was :D

I got it pretty dirty, it needs a major steam cleaning now on the inside...

after playing around at reiters, Subafly and I went up to the pass to play in the snow!! and sure enough, when we got there, there was a lot of it! (and the parking lots were compact too, which made for some fun drifting and doughnuts!)

but after all the fun is over with and on the way home by myself (well, my car and its passengers) the CV on the turbo side is now clicking- so its time to do some more work on it!

it was nice meeting more people from the board, and getting a chance to go offroadin with you guys again-

we defanately need to get together again and go to a snow park next time! ... will the xmas tree hunt have snow? :cool:

pictures are posted in my album!

Thanks to the efforts of Qman, and Ezap, and all the other Hatch patrol people that helped pull me out, bailed water from the cab, towed my car, and replaced my clutch.... I'm finally back home!

The cause of the clutch failure was interesting indeed. The clutch was a 2WD, but in this case, that alone was not enough to kill it. At some point in time, before I got the car, the OEM clutch was replaced with an LUK clutch and pressure plate. These pressure plates (at least the 2WD ones), have a slightly different design where the spring "fingers" are mounted to the plate. The metal there makes a U shape, and covers part of the spring. When I went into the water, the bell housing filled with water and debris (the situation was excerbated by the fact that Qman had just driven though ahead of me, and stirred up a bunch of crap in the water...). This debris was cought in the U shaped cavity in the pressure plate making it impossible for the clutch to engage. It was stuck in a depressed state, and no amount of water or cleaner would have been able to remove it. Thus the car was rendered unmoveable :temper:

GD

Well guys, I must say I had a hell of a time up at Reiters. This was my official first outing with the whole Soob crew. It was great to meet all you guys whos cars i've until now only seen on the net. They're even burlier in person. GD sorry bout the whole hole situation, when i saw you go in I somehow knew you weren't going to make it out alive. Fun times bailing out your ride though. Looks like you were in there long enough for your clutch to go south and to realize that you need a bilge pump. Thanks to you I went immediatly back to Todds and put one in my other hatch. You've still got a kick rump roast ride though. Q, i've only got one thing to say...NICE BRAT! That thing is just plain BAAAAD!!! SoobaFly thanks for letting me ride along with ya'. I'll have to return the favor when i get the hatch battle ready. When I get my USB cable i'll upload the pics i took. Anyone else I didn't mention it was great meeting and wheeling with all you guys. I'm pretty proud of my little black wagon, she did alright. Still glad I didn't take 'er down the Hobbit though. By the way, Zap, thanks for the trail run back to my ride, it was awful rainy, and your hatch is bad-rump roast. We're gonna have to do it again REAL soon!!

We here at the "Northern Alliance" will definately be there next time. By the way, the Northern Alliance is made up of Todd, Brian, Woody, Mike, Lance, and Cody (me) in case anyone wants to know. Good luck, see you next time, and thanks again.

-Cody

http://usmb.net/gallery/albuo36/DSCN1145

There's the group photo, just flip right to see others. Thanks Austin.

Was good to meet the few of you I haven't.

By the way, Zap, thanks for the trail run back to my ride, it was awful rainy, and your hatch is bad-rump roast. We're gonna have to do it again REAL soon!!

welcome.

The hatch has been solid so far. We'll have a snow run on Nov 29. Come have more fun.