Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gear Calculations and Advanced Offroad Tech

Jibs

So I've been kicking around ideas on the gearing of our soobs, and it seems that by having a better low range in the factory 5 speed T-case would be very helpful. I haven't dug into a transmission as of yet, but IF someone was to have a gearset made just specifically for the t-case (ie, having the stock 1.6 low range made to be 2.0 or more) My question is - would that help by itself, or would it be a waste of time? From the looks of the old 82 tranny I pulled from the Brat, it seems like the t-cae is kinda small, and wouldn't seem to be much of a problem getting a new et made, but again, I haven't torn into one to see what's involved. What parts if any would be stressed more if the t-case is lowered to a certain extent?

As of right now The Brat is this: (with the 5speed) 3.545(1stgear low) x 1.59 (T-case low) x 3.9 (diff ratio) = 22.12

With a 2.0 low in the t-case the magic number jumps to 27.65 which i quite a jump. What do you think?

Low range gearset is not in the "transfer case" (t-case is just for sending power to the rear). It's in the main transmission, and low gear is applied before all other gears. Changing the gears means complete transmission dissasembly, and re-shimming of virtually everything down the line for the new gears to mesh properly. Sadly it's cost-prohibitive as having gears made is extremely expensive. Probably several thousand for the first set.

GD

use a divorce adapted toyota tcase. get the adapter from ott industries. then buy 2 used toyota cases, a marlin crawler doubler kit... ;) and you'll up that number from 22:1 to 50:1 with the first yota case alone. :banana: now that's a good jump. then activate the second case you'll be at 114:1. if you add a twin stick kit to that rear case, you can use up to that in 2wd... but then your talking axle upgrades... or use a zuk case and get a gear kit for it... cut your body tub and suck the tcase up flat, to make a flat belly... just my 2 cents... a gear kit in a subaru tranny is a waste of time and money. we looked into it about 4 years ago. too much, for what you get. same reason we can't get a locker in a suby diff. no one wants to fork up cash. we found companies that would. but it was an arm and leg for the first ten out of the factory...