Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 5sp into 90 5sp? Advice needed

it will bolt up to your engine just fine and i think the trans will bolt in place fine too. the only thing i would check on is the axle splines and make sure the stubby shafts didn't change. but worst case scenario is you would just need his axles if the trans stubs were different, the hub side will be identical so that's easy.

his shouldn't be, but make sure it's not a hydraulic clutch set up.

i'll be dropping a 93 (same style as your 90) into a 1998 in the coming months, so i'll be keeping an eye on this, post what you find out and how it goes.

if his is a EJ25?

You might want to check the rear end ratios.

The automatic 2.5L in the Legacy OB is 4:11, I don't know about

the 5 speeds.

I very well could be taking a big lead here...

(read "way off base")

But it is one thing to check.

Yeah it'll bolt up. but the final drive will be different, 1997 model is more likely to have either 3.7 or 4.11 where abouts the old one would be 3.9 (you'll need to change the diff over as well)

I did use 1990 gearbox in 1995 liberty before wrote it off but had to change from 3.7 to 3.9 final drive.

Cheers

AP

My 90 LS wagon has 4.11 final drive, and so did my 95 Wagon, The only awd n/a ej 5psd to have a 3.90 were the impreza w/ej18's

Look at the diff tag on each of them before you get more than you need.

And also having worked at a few different parts stores abck in the day, ALL 90-99 Legacy's use the same front axles