Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

whats this light mean?? tach is jumpy too

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Meeky Moose

Meeky Moose

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,343 posts
  • Grants Pass

Posted 25 November 2003 - 01:42 PM

got a littel red light that says ECS. it lit up yesterday after i changed a coolant hose that sprung a leak..

car is sorta hard to start now also.. gotta acctually give it pedal to get it to start sometimes..

Edit: this is the 85' RX ea82T i also noticed the tach started jumpin when this light came on..

think the disty might be goin bad?

#2 subarubrat

subarubrat

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,246 posts
  • Bealeton, VA

Posted 25 November 2003 - 01:51 PM

You probably unplugged or loosened a connection from the ECS to the engine ECS is the ECU.

#3 Meeky Moose

Meeky Moose

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,343 posts
  • Grants Pass

Posted 25 November 2003 - 01:56 PM

doh.. the hose i had to replace was just the one that goes from the intake to the turbo.. had to remove the turbo heat shield, but that was it.. nothing right there in the terms of wires to bump...

if i have the codes read, it should tell me whats wrong, if its not a connection problem shouldn't it?

#4 subarubrat

subarubrat

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,246 posts
  • Bealeton, VA

Posted 25 November 2003 - 02:16 PM

Try simply unplugging the ECU if it is carbed. My EA81 in the BRAT had driveability problems from the ECU triggering functions on the carb. I unplugged the ECU and it ran just fine and got better gas mileage.

#5 oddcomp

oddcomp

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,763 posts
  • longview ,wa

Posted 25 November 2003 - 06:50 PM

umm since his is turbo i assume its fuel injected ..
if you unplug the computer then you have nothing running the injectors ...

and i would bet he has a leak somewhere in between the engine and the maf sensor causing it to start hard
loose clamp
the occasionally forgotten to re attach vacum line <i always hate those>
ect ect

#6 Qman

Qman

Happiness is... no lag!!

• 11,119 posts
  • Sumner

Posted 25 November 2003 - 07:37 PM

My guess would be that you either cracked one of the thermal switches or a vacuum line. Everything is probably getting a little hard and brittle. Check all the connections and vacuum lines as described above as well.

#7 Stupidru

Stupidru

Currently Subaruless

• Members
  • 457 posts
  • Northumberland, PA

Posted 26 November 2003 - 09:44 AM

read the ecs code...it might be a o2 sensor....the o2 sensor is below the turbo heat shield.

#8 Dennis ex24

Dennis ex24

Subaru Disaster

• Members
  • 2,683 posts
  • Phila, Pa

Posted 26 November 2003 - 01:57 PM

tony...

ive always had to crack the throttle to get that car to start from day one. back in the early subaru turbo days there was a TSB out about this if im not mistaken...i have to do the same on my XT.

a new fuel pressure regulator may/may not fix this - who knows.

re: the jumpy tach - this wasnt a disty issue. i think it was just some little annoying voltage thing...youll notice when it starts jumping around a bit, if you were to turn on the headlights or some other big electrical thing on the car it'll either calm down or stop completely...another external ground will probably prevent this from happening again.

#9 Meeky Moose

Meeky Moose

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,343 posts
  • Grants Pass

Posted 27 November 2003 - 05:50 PM

ok Dennis, the tach seemd to have fixed itself after i regrounded the car again.. used my ground wire off the wagon (it was beefy)

on another note, what do i need to read the ecs code?? never messed with them before..

i'm assuming the little black box under the steering column is the computer.. its got a red light that flashes 3 long and 3 short per cycle.. any ideas?

never had to crack the throttle at all on my 86' turbo wagon, and its got 290k on it. lol at any rate, maybe i'll pull the FPR off it and see what it does..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users