Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CV axle job - breaker bar or impact wrench

Replacing my first cv axle on '96 outback. Haynes says to use a breaker bar to get axle nut off. (looks like it is 32mm) Any problem if I use an impact wrench? Manual says to have someone engage the gear and put the brake on while breaking the nut. Don't have another person easily available to do this. Will I need the wheel/brake to be secure if using the air wrench?

definitely use an impact gun. it should get it off without much trouble.

manual - engage the transmission and go to town. i imagine it will come off without using the brakes if you use an impact gun. it will not come off, or is very unlikely, without using the brakes if you use a regular socket wrench.

automatic - secure the flexplate through the bellhousing access hole with a stout object (i use a socket extension).

if you have to use a hand socket wrench...get a 3/4" socket wrench. 1/2" sockets are not up to this job and can break. seen 1/2" sockets wrenches and breaker bars break.

on rare occassions there are 36mm axle nuts as well, but i wouldn't expect it in your case. i've even gotten 36mm nuts from the dealer straight out of a cv axle box.

I used a 1/2 inch breaker to do this recently. I had to put a long *cheater pipe* on it but it worked. I suppose you could break one too if you get a stubborn nut. If you've already put the car in the air and removed wheels, you can use a 3 foot long section of angle iron as a stopper for the hub. Wedge it between two wheelstuds and brace it against the ground.

Definitely impact wrench. Make sure to use a 6pt socket (but nearly all impact sockets are anyway), flank drive if possible. If it's on the rear, maybe yanking the parking brake hard would be enough to prevent movement. And if possible soak the nut with kroil or pb blaster or something for a while before the job. Heat, cold, beeswax can also be worth trying if it's being stubborn, even after unstaking the nut. Oh and of course you want the wheel off the ground when you do this.

There was one time when I had a difficult time removing an axle nut. I don't have an impact wrench and for some reason the pipe extension trick wasn't working. As a last resort I put a second jack under the handle of a breaker bar and it came off no problem.

There was one time when I had a difficult time removing an axle nut. I don't have an impact wrench and for some reason the pipe extension trick wasn't working. As a last resort I put a second jack under the handle of a breaker bar and it came off no problem.

An excellent suggestion. I did that to loosen an extremely tight rear diff plug once. Just make sure the angle of attack between the jack and the breaker bar is as close to 90 degrees as possible.

I tried to use a 3/4" ratchet with a 32mm socket, no way it would come off even after soaking it with pen oil and leaving it overnight! I added a 4' section of pipe to the handle and slowly applied pressure (thought for sure I was going to break something) and it finally came loose. :banana:

Stubborn buggers!