Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Even MORE coolant system troubles ::UPDATE::

most of you know about my bad over heat. well, i replaced the thermostat and all was good. i was driving it this evenig and it started to overheat again. i only have the mech. fan on right now. it was not spinning, i can hear it screamin like a turbo when it is working. it overheated some more, but this time, the engine was hot and the radiator was not. i think it is either a bad thermo that i bought or my water pump gome south for the winter. i'll probably have to chech the thermo in some boiling water and see where that takes me. how can i tell if it is the water pump?

and would a thermostat go bad if it was uncovered no coolant on it)?

i need to fix this problem before i blow up my damn engine. i don't haver the $1900 for this cherry 89 wagon w/73k on it. it is perfectly clean and undamaged inside and out. runs like a naked banshee too. i really want the xt6 though. $2400. i hardly have 1/100 of this amount:boohoo:

First things first.

Thermos can be bad out fo the box, hapened to me and cost me a head gasket.

Did you install it right, spring toward engine?

Did you boil test before installing?

Check the water pump too. Remove the feed tube and make sure the impeller is spinning with the pulley.

I'd heard of thermostats being shot out of the box, but of course, didn't think to check mine first. I was in a big hurry. I had 15 minutes to replace the thermo and fill w/coolant then head off to see my Pee Ho. I put it in correctly though. I'm sure of that. The thermo was working, i think. I'm not really sure if it's working or not anymore. All i know is that for a couple of days it seemed to function. It's a 180 and i noticed the temp change and it ran very stable. maybe the temp. sensor for my elec fan is broken. I don't really know when my mechanical fan spins, but i know that it's not all the time.

I'll check the water pump tomorrow and see if it's spinnin.

Can you buy a rebuild kit for these or do you have to buy them new?

a little jamaican: tahnks bohz

not really an update, but i just remembered that i broke a vacuum connection next to the t-stat. it is a little piece of plastic that a hose hooks to from the canister up front. the thing i broke is behind the t-stat housing. could this be causing any of my problems? i figure i might as well ask. tahnks brudda.

I had overheating problems with suby1.I too started with the basics.After ruling them out I brought to a suby mechanic.It was severly over heated when I gottoo the shop.Already knowing that I had done the basics he went straight for the radiator core with his hand.The metal rim all around the rad was HOT but the core was stone cold.This told me I need a new radiator.

I could limp around town with the bad radiator but as soon as I got on the freeway it would boil.

What is with these cheap a$$ aftermarket parts.Saving a few bucks to suffer a bunch of grief is not worht it to me.:madder: