Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sloppy shift

will this fix work on an 89 wagon as well, my shifter is very sloppy when in gear, and I have to swing it way to the right when upshifting (or going for reverse)...usually hitting the person in the passenger seat in the knee when I go for fifth gear! :eh:

Hey got my shifter all finished and it is lke night and day. I thought that it would be a little tighter but it is more solid than my buddys short shift on his little RICE ROCKET. Can not believe it. Thanks everyone for the great info. My exhaust post will be the next project.:clap:

• 9 months later...

many times the shaft comming out the back of the tranny is fine the problem is that shifter shaft that slides over the tranny shaft. what we usually do if you dont want to replace the shifter is to take the pin out and find a grade 8 bolt that is the same size at the hole in the shaft. usually you will need to press it in and put a lock washer and nut and you will need to tighten it down as tight as you can but it has worked for me many times. good luck.

Mary,

I sent you an email including the photo

documented article I wrote on the fix.

Please reply if it meets your needs comprehensively and is what you were looking for....

Got it Skip! It's not "cheesy"... very clear... good job! Thought it might be wise to do this before setting the "new" tranny... it's fairly tight now, but as they say, an ounce of prevention? I haven't had much luck finding the bushing and this fix sounds more permanent.

I pretty much have to evacuate my passenger to catch reverse on the one I have now! Yikes!