Ultimate Subaru Message Board

easy way to do a clutch plate swap

hey guys i have serched and serched but i cant find anything on the easyest way to change the clutch disk should i pull the engine or just unbolt and slide the tranny back its an 86 ea82t gl wagon i have done it with the engine out but its turbo and i dont want to have to pull this one it looks like a pain in the rump roast:confused:

Either way you'll probably have to remove some exhaust parts.

When I pulled the motor out of a turbo legacy I just unbolted the durbo from the down pipe, and undid all the bolts and mounts. Its really not that much more than a n/a motor.

I've spoken with an older mechanic who said he has done them in ea81 cars by unbolting the motor from the trans and rocking it forward, and taking out the bolts(rotating motor to get to others) and put them back in that way too.

ok so i think the plan is to get a cooler fill it with ice and dinkage blast some METALLICA:headbang: and get it done and over with but i do wonder i mioght wait untell i get paid and just buy a new disk for 30sumthin instead of the used one i have just to be safe and save me some work any tricks and tips for making the pressur plate and fly wheel grab better i heard a friend of mine talking about takeing some sand paper to both the sides that the plate grabbs and it did just that grabed it way better but this was on a bronco 2 dose any one know if it would work ?? thanks again:clap:

Sand paper trick would work for a little while but it the clutch plate would wear the scratches away after a few :burnout: . You would need a pressure plate with beefier springs in it to be perminent e.g. a heavy duty one.

I supose You could also try putting some brass bolts thru your plate as some worked skylines use brass button clutches to get the power down but I dont recommend it. Infact doing so would probably wreck your clutch components in a short time.