Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Please Help Out a Friend of mine ...

Heya all, a good friend of mine got into an accident this last week-end, she is ok but her '96 legacy wagon is most likely not going to be repairable. She got hit when pulling into traffic near berian WA on the drivers side front-end pretty hard (enough to buckle the hood a bit) so the frame is probubly shot, however the 2.2 motor should be ok, I will have some picks asap, she might be buying a car of mine for her new transportation, but would like to see what she can get out of the wreck for parts or whole. Over-all the car was in good shape, well main-tained with 160k on it, it's green like one shade lighter than forest green, well anyhow it's in a church parking lot right now but soon it will need to be removed. Please let me know if you or anyone you know might be interested ... thx!

**edit** oops I forgot to mention it is a 5-spd

• 2 weeks later...
looks fixable to me too. Stand behind it while the car slowly drives away. If all the tires are tracking well, and the car still looks square, it should be ok.

nipper

Well I'm glad u all said it, because I haven't been there physicly yet, but I was thinking the same thing! :banana:

I have been told that one tie-rod/ball joint has been broken loose, but that's entirely fixable. If I get a chance, I am going to go there and see it in person in the next few weeks, and if it looks doable, I'll get it back on the road and since I just sold a car of mine already, I might just fix it up for her. She already got annother car (chev lumina I tried to talk her into annother subie, but she got a good deal anyway hehe) but the car she has she got such a good deal she could re-sell it and make $500 easy. I was just thinking this morning that at worst I would have to get out my high-lift jack and spread appart the front, get it to the local schwab and new tie-rod/ball joint or w/e it needs.

chev lumina I tried to talk her into annother subie, but she got a good deal anyway hehe. but the car she has she got such a good deal she could re-sell it and make $500 easy.

No such thing as a good deal on a Lumina. They are crap. My friend had a Grand prix (same car) with like 60,000 miles on it. Out of nowhere the front right spring just broke. Snapped in half. Corner of the car dropped immediately and started grinding into the tire. the Frickcin Spring just broke! driving down a flat paved road, by a little sunday driving woman! Went to wrecking yards to try and find a replacement spring and guess what. It took 3 yards before we found a car with a good one. The guy at the yard said he sell those springs like candy (when he has a good one) cause they all break. I will never ever ever buy a GM car.

No such thing as a good deal on a Lumina. They are crap. My friend had a Grand prix (same car) with like 60,000 miles on it. Out of nowhere the front right spring just broke. Snapped in half. Corner of the car dropped immediately and started grinding into the tire. the Frickcin Spring just broke! driving down a flat paved road, by a little sunday driving woman! Went to wrecking yards to try and find a replacement spring and guess what. It took 3 yards before we found a car with a good one. The guy at the yard said he sell those springs like candy (when he has a good one) cause they all break. I will never ever ever buy a GM car.

Yikes! they better have a recall then, I thought I had heard something not so good about luminas, but couldn't find anything concrete .. this one is a '96 .. what year was your friends car?