Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help! Axle Problems

Ok so when I was Installing my lift, I pulled the axle out of the lower CV joint( where it goes into the hub) So I bought a new Axle not a referb from AutoZone and it went in easily. At first it seemed to be to short, it was connected to the trans so I pulled it just a little and it went all the way through the hub, GREAT. So I thought that I was done, Later that night my buddy and I where looking at everything and the upper CV boot was streched TIGHT and didnt look right. As we look harder we found that I had pulled the CV joint apart at the upper boot(where it goes into the trans). So my question is, First off I didnt pull on it that hard, so I think it was defective from the get go. Or are they that easy to pull apart?? Second question is I watch the guy put in all the info of my car in the computer, how could they have gave me the wrong axle. Does it have something to do with the lift because the other side is fine, I just dont know, does anyone know what the length of the axle I have is.( its a 85 GL wagon 4x4 D/R 5speed) the only thing that I didnt understand was that the computer at AutoZone only gave a opition of coupe or hatch, not wagon does that make a differents?? So if anyone can help Please write back.

Oh yea I installed a 4/4 inch lift, its from ozified. If that may make that axle to short??

Tony~

Ok so when I was Installing my lift, I pulled the axle out of the lower CV joint( where it goes into the hub) So I bought a new Axle not a referb from AutoZone and it went in easily. At first it seemed to be to short, it was connected to the trans so I pulled it just a little and it went all the way through the hub, GREAT. So I thought that I was done, Later that night my buddy and I where looking at everything and the upper CV boot was streched TIGHT and didnt look right. As we look harder we found that I had pulled the CV joint apart at the upper boot(where it goes into the trans). So my question is, First off I didnt pull on it that hard, so I think it was defective from the get go. Or are they that easy to pull apart?? Second question is I watch the guy put in all the info of my car in the computer, how could they have gave me the wrong axle. Does it have something to do with the lift because the other side is fine, I just dont know, does anyone know what the length of the axle I have is.( its a 85 GL wagon 4x4 D/R 5speed) the only thing that I didnt understand was that the computer at AutoZone only gave a opition of coupe or hatch, not wagon does that make a differents?? So if anyone can help Please write back.

Oh yea I installed a 4/4 inch lift, its from ozified. If that may make that axle to short??

Tony~

I've gotten axles to short before. I'm not sire what they were for. I think perhaps hatchback or Brat? And Actually it was from autozone.

I think the problem is that GLs, espescially in 85-86 are often reffered to as *1800*

Also the Hatchbacks and brats are also called an *1800*

Autozone seems to be particullarly bad. I had to just go back and look through there stock to find the right disty caps/rotors/axles/brakepads/etc...

They gave you an EA81 axle. You can tell the difference by both the length (compressed - EA81's are shorter, so yes will pull apart), and the diameter of the inner wheel bearing sealing surface on the outer joint. One is bigger than the other by quote a bit.

It's not that hard to pull an inner joint apart - all that seperates the joint parts is a small diameter wire in a groove inside the cup.

GD

yep, i've heard other people that just always ask for an 89 wagon to get the right EA82 parts as well. make sure it's a non-turbo and you should be golden. having the other axle (that you returned) or the original with you will make it loads easier. since you're buying new you should be able to keep your original...for next time!

whups, I mean I need a axle for a coupe/sedan, not one from a wagon,hatchback. well does that mean when I bought this axle, the only two opitions in the computer where hatchback or coupe. should I have bought the one for a coupe instead of a hatchback?? maybe thats the problem sence that hatchbacks are EA81's not EA82's.?? I picked a hatchback because its more like the wagon, so maybe the sedan one is the one I need for the 85 model?? Thanks guy's, worst case I will buy a coupe non-turbo 89 axle with D/R 5speed right?

Tony~

Well thats a little bit of a problem, They had a $15 core even with the new one. I bought it monday night and put it in that night and didnt realise that it was wrong till Tuesday night. They ship all core and returns on tuesday mornings, so my core is GONE. so I have no old one to go by, just the new one I bought thats wrong. I guess I could that off the other one from the other side if I had to, but hopfully I wont have to do that. Hopfully its only because I told them I need a hatchback one instead of a coupe one. Just thought it was werid that there wasnt a wagon opition?? Anyway we will see, thanks for the help!!:)

Tony~

oh, no joke. friend of mine bought a subaru axle a week or two ago from advanced and the new ones had no core charge (Cardone i think it was).

you could also check it against an XT axle, they never, ever came with an EA81. so as long as it's a non-turbo XT it will fit yours as well. might want to check those - 88-91 XT's (4 cylinder). it should match the wagon axle. good luck!

Frankly, who knows what their parts lookup gave you since there actually wasn't an 85 model coupe of any kind. The last production year for the EA81 coupe was 84, and the EA82 "coupe" 3-Door didn't come out till 86. There was a gap of one year where only the Wagon, Sedan, Brat and Hatch were produced.

GD

Cool, so I need to check it against a XT 88-91 4cyl. and theres no way I could go wrong them. Thanks!!

Tony~

Well, I don;'t know about that. Early XT 85,86,87 without turbo would be a better lookup, cause in 88 they introduced the 4EAT, and the fulltime 5spd into some(if not all?) XTs, 4 and 6 cyl, and they all have 25 spline axles, you need 23 spline.

Or just Look it up as a non-turbo sedan, any year.

Side note: just a tip, the axle for

2wd GL-10 turbo automatic(3spd, 85-88 or 89) should have the larger Turbo CV and DOJ races and cups, but have 23 spline holes for the axle stubs. Only 2wd, Turbo, automatic(3spd, not 4EAT) GL and GL-10. However since any of the 23 spline axles will *fit* often you'll see an interchange and who knows what you'll get. The OEM ones like this arew identified by 2 big ribs on the axle shaft, and a noticably larger joint and boot that the non turbo axles.