Ultimate Subaru Message Board

jeep help please

i didnt buy the jeep to replace the legacy no worries. i have a 94 cherokee and bought it with known electrical problems, the problem is the jeep will run for 15 seconds to 5 minutes and jsut die. i work at a jeep dealership and they hooked it up to a scanner and got a code for the crank sensor. that was replaced and it still does the random dying. the scanner after the sensor was installed said there was no crank refference even with a new sensor. my mech buddy said it may most likely be the computer. are any of you subaru guys out there pretty good at guessing what else i could check related to this?

There are a few sesnors that will stall the car. The crank sensor, the engine temp sensor. Yo need to check and make sure whatever generates the signal for the crank sensor is not damaged. My first wild guess would be the engine temp sensor. If thecar doesnt run long enough, it may not store the code. The ecu is always a possability.

nipper

Is it a 4.0? Those are known for leaking valve cover gaskets, which drip oil onto the cam position sensor (It's on the back side of the block) and cause it to go TU..

Remember that the trouble codes in the computer indicate a problem with that particular CIRCUIT not necessarily that sensor. Check the connector, and the wiring for that sensor....

I had a problem with the connection to the computer at one point on my 84 cj check and make sure the terminals are making contact and none of the tabs are bent down if you can get by with that look fora ground if you have both and you said the cam sensor is new then I would start check for signal going to the pcm using a old school scope. nothing says this is your problem like looking at the wave form when it goes. put put scrump