Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Aftermarket Coils??

What brands are ok what brands do you stay away from...I know accell fits in the "stay away from" catagory...but what about the others..Since it does look like it was a coil failure that cause Rocky to backfire etc...will know after work when I take him for a long run..but so far so good...with an old used coil for my EA82. Debating on just putting a new new one in to be safe.

OEM would probably be a small fortune and since I am at work I can't look it up.

I've had a BMW E30 coil (bosch brand) in my XT turbo, seems to be working fine, noticed no difference over stock though (thought the stock one was broken), so the stocker went back in (ran it for over a month with the BMW one)

I had to modify the cable from the coil to the dizzy but it fitted like a charm otherwise. I never measured resistence of the coil, so I recommend you do so before permanently fitting it in your subaru.

Whats wrong with accel?

I used what subiemech85 recommended in his post re: engine health.

"check ignition system for proper performance, change cap and rotor to napa premium made in japan, switch to accel 8140c coil -- but keep the old one, and the #1 thing to do is put in NGK BPR6EY-11" :confused:

i'd stick with stock. aftermarkets aren't as reliable. at the very least, get one and keep stock in the trunk. or just keep a spare in the trunk. if a couple work for people convinces you, then go ahead and get one, it's not like they all fail. but in general the aftermarkets don't have a good record. you can search here for lots of info, i've done it before and it's always convinced me to stick with stock...eventhough i want something new.

i'd stick with stock. aftermarkets aren't as reliable. at the very least, get one and keep stock in the trunk. or just keep a spare in the trunk. if a couple work for people convinces you, then go ahead and get one, it's not like they all fail. but in general the aftermarkets don't have a good record. you can search here for lots of info, i've done it before and it's always convinced me to stick with stock...eventhough i want something new.

I've been using my coil from Jegs' for a while now, but I keep the stock coil and the necessary tools in the trunk to stick it back on, just in case. I've been burned by the yellow Accel, the red MSD and the Pertronix. All made overseas, I found out later. The Jeg's (part #555-40105 red $19, 555-40100 chrome $20) is made in the USA. They also sell MSD, no mention if made here or elsewhere, for $39 - $50 depending on model.