Ultimate Subaru Message Board

bizarre 4EAT trans issue

when i first start the car it will stall when i put it into reverse or drive. engine runs fine, no problems there. brakes are not seized, not that it should matter anyway. after warming up for a few minutes it goes into gear and drives and shifts perfectly with no problems.

the first time or two it only did it in reverse, put it in drive and drove fine. now i can't put it into any gear without it stalling, have to wait a couple minutes before it goes.

First, year, make, model? with or without Lockup converter?

If with lockup converter, which I didnt think the early 4eat had, suspect intermittently failing converter clutch solenoid.

If without lockup converter, suspect engine management out of whack or converter buggered.

I dont think its the lockup TC, unless the TCU is confused, or there is some failure of an internal valve. The TC never locks up in reverse, and its normal state is unlocked.

The car only does this cold?

If you let the car warm up it doesnt do it?

What happens if you skip to N (hang out there for a second) then go into R or D.

Scan the puter while its doing this, see what the scanner comes up with.

I'm wondering if your IAC is flaky, as this is part of its job.

nipper

i don't have anything to scan the computer with.

doesn't matter where i shift from (P or N), but if i shift into any other gear that should caues the car to move it will stall. and it stalls immediately like a manaul trans that's put in gear with the brakes on. it will only do it once it's been sitting for awhile (like overnight). trips during the day from work, it works fine.

now....either once a certain temp is met or it's idled for awhile (maybe 2 minutes?) it works perfect. don't know if that's temp or time related? no flaws at all, shifts fine, drives perfect, plenty of power, nothing out of the ordinary at all and i can turn it off and on lots of times. won't re-occur until i turn it off for a signficant amount of time.

IAC you say hhhmmmm? i'll plug my shift resistor in and see if i'm getting any transmission codes. my POWER light always blinks at start up since my shift resistor is always left unplugged (i do that to all my soobs - that is definitely not the problem).

i don't have anything to scan the computer with.

doesn't matter where i shift from (P or N), but if i shift into any other gear that should caues the car to move it will stall. and it stalls immediately like a manaul trans that's put in gear with the brakes on. it will only do it once it's been sitting for awhile (like overnight). trips during the day from work, it works fine.

now....either once a certain temp is met or it's idled for awhile (maybe 2 minutes?) it works perfect. don't know if that's temp or time related? no flaws at all, shifts fine, drives perfect, plenty of power, nothing out of the ordinary at all and i can turn it off and on lots of times. won't re-occur until i turn it off for a signficant amount of time.

IAC you say hhhmmmm? i'll plug my shift resistor in and see if i'm getting any transmission codes. my POWER light always blinks at start up since my shift resistor is always left unplugged (i do that to all my soobs - that is definitely not the problem).

IAC job is to bump up the idle speed when the car gets a load at idle, like the AC or putting the car in gear. I may be wrong but thats the first place i would look. Maybe its dirty and sticking when cold.

nipper

A suggestion.. The easiest way to "check the wiring" is to read up and figure out which pins on the TCU are for the signals from the IAC and TPS, and test those components through the TCU wiring before you start the car. If either one of those components were actually malfunctioning I would expect a CEL, or at least a D-check code.